"Mysteries" of the C4 CEL/ Air Bag/Seat Belt warning light panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mysteries" of the C4 CEL/ Air Bag/Seat Belt warning light panel

Many but not all of the European and Rest of World (RoW) C4 UrS and all of the North American UrS cars came with a 6 position warning light panel above the three gauge cluster instrument cluster (the one with the clock, oil temp and oil pressure (or volts in an UrS6)).

LHD:

RHD:

The NAmerican UrSs only had three of the six positions active, i.e. the Check Engine Light (CEL)(or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)), the Air Bag light and the Seat Belt warning light. But as this photo shows, there were three other potentially active lights:

Here is a similar but different warning light panel from a Euro UrS4:

Photo courtesy of Zoig from here on the S2Forum

The meanings of these three extra lights, two green ones and one yellow one, are shown below (note: they don't say anything about the check engine light - which I think the RoW cars did NOT get):

And for the standard 6 light panel with only the airbag, check engine and seat belt lights active, this is how the wiring shakes out:

Reference:

-the English Language RoW UrS6 Owners' Instruction Manual:

Betriebsanleitung
    Audi S6
    Englisch 7.94
    951.561.4A4.20

More C4 UrS Instrument Cluster info at:

C4 UrS Instrument Cluster 101
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 23 November 2014, 08:12.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Please note that in my RHD S6 the oil pressure gauge is a oil temperature gauge. Was this an option?
    Also, during the hook up wiring of my S6, they accidentally connected the air bag wires to the CEL light. This now flashes a lot.
    '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
    '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

More info on (80 and coupe quattro specific) CEL/MIL operation here:
      http://s2central.net/inst_clust_mil.html

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisAudi80 View Post
        Please note that in my RHD S6 the oil pressure gauge is a oil temperature gauge. Was this an option?
        Christopher: As far as I know, the UrS6s lost their oil pressure gauge, kept the oil temp gauge and gained a voltmeter (where the oil pressure gauge was located), as shown below for a LHD car. Can you post a photo of your RHD UrS6 instrument panel?

Comment

Just to note, my '93 S4 doesn't have any lights in that part of the instrument cluster. It's blanked off with a black plastic part that is screwed into place.

I found the bulb holder for the MIL (diagnostics) lamp behind the dash and connected it to one of the unused blanks underneath the trip computer.
          '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin's S4 View Post
            Just to note, my '93 S4 doesn't have any lights in that part of the instrument cluster. It's blanked off with a black plastic part that is screwed into place. I found the bulb holder for the MIL (diagnostics) lamp behind the dash and connected it to one of the unused blanks underneath the trip computer.
            Thanks for that reminder. I DO have a 93 Euro UrS4 cluster and it too does not have any warning lights, just the blanking plate.

I think Paul N. suggested using the (CAT) symbol in the warning light section under the trip computer since it is unused on a 20VT (it is for the V8 cars apparently).

I will modify my Mysteries post.

On a related note, someone has told me that there is a TUV directive, ECE R-48, maybe from Oct. 95 ( http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...egs/r48r6e.pdf) that supposedly states:

"From ECE R-48. Vehicles "all"
            Closed circuit tell-tale:
            Prescribed. The function control is prescribed for the front
            and rear direction indicators. Vehicles equipped to pull a
            trailer need to have a special function control for the direction
            indicators of the trailer, unless every malfunction in a direction
            indicator of the towing elements can be signalised via the
            control unit of the pulling unit."

The <=1=> symbol supposedly satisfies that requirement.

Comment

Immobiliser symbol is used on European C4 A6/S6

Comment

Originally posted by mdz View Post
                So based on Merlin's comments and your comment, the warning panel in my photo might only apply the C4 A6/S6s not all C4s. Good to know. (Mine is from a 95 or 96 North American UrS6).

Comment

My UK S4 (nov 92 MY) which i have now sold had the blanking plate, but i got hold of a cluster from an early 'J' plate car (dunno exact month of manufacture, aug 91-july 92) to replace peeling dials on mine which had the warning panel present.

Comment

Originally posted by mdz View Post
                    Mine lights up on mine too when I start the car, the yellow car symbol with key, unless it is wired wrong...
                    Audi S6

Comment

Dont remember ever seeing lights positioned over the three dials, but will double check to confirm.
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                        (Mine is from a 95 or 96 North American UrS6).
                        My MY1995 (built 09.1994) UrS6 has the same warning light array. I also have spare UrS4 cluster of unknown year also LHD, this one has different symbols, ABS aus or ASR aus symbols i think. i can dig it up and post pictures if you are interested.

Also the "Side lights" green symbol is only used on Italian market cars, i haven't seen them working on other LHD european ones. It could be because some local Italian law demanded this along with the wheel arch extensions/protectors for UrS models.

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                          Dont remember ever seeing lights positioned over the three dials, but will double check to confirm.
                          Turns out that a "Euro" (or UK) UrS4 might not have those lights. Assuming that is true, do you have a seat belt light and air bag light? And, if so, where are they? Under the trip computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
                            My MY1995 (built 09.1994) UrS6 has the same warning light array. I also have spare UrS4 cluster of unknown year also LHD, this one has different symbols, ABS aus or ASR aus symbols i think. i can dig it up and post pictures if you are interested.
                            Please

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                              Christopher: As far as I know, the UrS6s lost their oil pressure gauge, kept the oil temp gauge and gained a voltmeter (where the oil pressure gauge was located), as shown below for a LHD car. Can you post a photo of your RHD UrS6 instrument panel?

See attached. Btw, Chris is short for Christian.
                              Attached Files
                              '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
                              '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

Working...
                              X