"Mysteries" of the C4 CEL/ Air Bag/Seat Belt warning light panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisAudi80 View Post
    See attached. Btw, Chris is short for Christian.
    D'oh! Sorry about that. I thought it was Christopher and I was trying to be polite. I guess that blew up in my face, Christian. My parts guy is Kristian and I've been calling him Kris but he does say "Kristian" when he announces himself. I can't win.

Anyway, thanks for the photo. Saved. It will be used (credit to you) in a revised version of the UrS Instrument cluster 101 post. (101 = typical first year level university introductory course number)

As I suspected, the RHD UrS6 three gauge cluster has the same three gauges as the LHD cluster, just in the opposite order. Clock is still closest to the driver and the "new" voltmeter is furthest away from the driver. The oil temp gauge is still in the middle of the other too.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

No worries Glad I could help.

I do watch the Voltmeter and oil temp all the time. The oil temp sits on the first bold mark (90c, right?) when cruising under 100kph. If cruising 120+ it goes up to about 100-110c. If pressing harder, 120c tops. Never had it close to the 130 mark.

It has been recommended to not keep the revs over 4500 for longer than 10 minutes as this puts A LOT of heat in the autotrans. Still shifts just fine. I would like to add a trans oil temp gauge...
      '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
      '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

A6/S6 Circuit board for main gauges are also the same on RHD and LHD clusters. There's place for cable that connects main gauges to additional gauges on both sides of main circuit board.
        Also seat belt warning is not used on European cars and most likely on UK cars too (someone confirm this please).
        I can take a picture of blue UrS6+ cluster if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
          Dont remember ever seeing lights positioned over the three dials, but will double check to confirm.
          Just checked as i have a spare S4 and S6 cluster here, the S4 ones have a black blanking plate. The S6 cluster has the colour strip but no electronics/bulbs in it, looking at the various indications i dont think any of them are used in euro spec cars.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mdz View Post
            A6/S6 Circuit board for main gauges are also the same on RHD and LHD clusters. There's place for cable that connects main gauges to additional gauges on both sides of main circuit board.
            Also seat belt warning is not used on European cars and most likely on UK cars too (someone confirm this please).
            I can take a picture of blue UrS6+ cluster if you need it.
            I used a RHD A6 cluster to gain the trip computer for my North America version S6 (9/95). It was necessary to transfer the cable from one side of the cluster circuit board to the other side of the board. This cable is the connection to the three auxiliary gauges/clock on the inner side of the cluster.
            Chris
            "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Additional warning lights

And the there are the six potential lights under the trip computer panel (or space):

(NAmerican panel on top, European panel on the bottom):

The "battery" is the alternator light - comes on when the ignition is switched on but should go off once the engine is started. If it doesn't or it comes on while driving you have a battery or alternator problem that needs addressing. Breaking a serpentine belt would be one reason (but you'd also lose the power steering and brakes as well).

The loopy squiggle is (I am told) the glow plug indicator for starting the C4 1.9TDI and 2.5TDI engines. Turn ignition on, wait for this glow plug light to go out, start diesel. (I am told). Craig from Perth, what say ye?

The "CAT"(catalytic converter)warning light. This only applies to the Euro UrS4/S6 V8s (yes, V8s, they/you could get them. 276 hp. Only V6s and 20Vts in NAmerica).

The (ABS) "Aus" is Anti-lock brake system OFF or malfunctioning.

White on blue headlight symbol = high beam

(P) = Handbrake = Brake

The ASR = "Anti Slip Regulation" (ASR). Apparently some FWD cars got this and apparently the 95.5/96/97 UrS6 with the "EDL" system. Further confirmation welcomed. (EDITED)

Correct me where I am wrong.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 1 October 2013, 17:39.

Comment

Dave ,i have seen UrS6 instrument cluster with a different
                On water temp and fuel gauge.there's numeric number instead
                Of the harsh mark to indicate the temp celsius and fuel level too.
                one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  The loopy squiggle is (I am told) the glow plug indicator for starting the C4 1.9TDI and 2.5TDI engines. Turn ignition on, wait for this glow plug light to go out, start diesel. (I am told). Craig from Perth, what say ye?
                  Correct! 10 points to Dave. It is only working if the temperature is at +5c or less.

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  The ASR = "Anti Slip Regulation" (ASR) which I don't think anybody got except maybe this became the "EDL" system?
                  This was avaliable on some of the late FWD models, they even had the "ASR" button in dash to disable it. quattro only got EDL on C4, starting from MY1995 when they lost the Diff lock. Interesting sidenote about EDL is that my old MY1993 2.6V6 B4 fwd had EDL installed, fully working, guess given enough money you could order it back then instead of quattro.
                  I have called it "Automated System Recovery" on mu UrS6 and doubled the Diff lock green indicator lamp under there. Not really OEM but catches my eye enough so i don't forget to unlock the diff.

Dave, i cant remember if i sent you the picture of my car's dials. Automatic gear display and aux warning symbols were off the picture.

Comment

The ASR = "Anti Slip Regulation" (ASR) which I don't think anybody got except maybe this became the "EDL" system?

Dave, I did see the ASR lamp come on once when I accellerated hard from a stop on an icy road. I could hear the ABS pump running & it felt as the rear of the car "setteled down". ELD intervention I guessed.
                    Chris
                    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Originally posted by A1QSHIP View Post
                      Dave, I did see the ASR lamp come on once when I accellerated hard from a stop on an icy road. I could hear the ABS pump running & it felt as the rear of the car "setteled down". ELD intervention I guessed. Chris
                      Thanks Chris. Some other people have been telling me that the ASR was a FWD thing. Good to hear that it was also a 95.5/96/97 UrS6 thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
                        ...Dave, i cant remember if i sent you the picture of my car's dials. Automatic gear display and aux warning symbols were off the picture.
                        Thanks for the comments Zoig. A photo of the instrument cluster with the auto gear display and warning lights in place would be welcomed.

Comment

ASR is not EDL. ASR is traction control.
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                            ASR is not EDL. ASR is traction control.
                            I am understanding that now. Apparently on some FWD cars and EDL-equipped UrS6s. Can you confirm that with your Motronic knowledge or is that strictly the EDL/ABS computer intervening to provide some slip/traction control?

I have edited the text above to read:

"The ASR = "Anti Slip Regulation" (ASR). Apparently some FWD cars got this and apparently the 95.5/96/97 UrS6 with the "EDL" system. Further confirmation welcomed."

Comment

None of the 2.2T's had it.
                              I don't know on what and whether it was used at all. Easiest to do on diesel as can reduce fuel injection.

On gasoline without a DBW throttle, all you can do is cut fuel sequentially, but it is very rough.
                              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Some A6's with 2.8 30v engine are equipped with ASR.

Comment

Working...
                                X