This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlining

My quest to resolve all the niggely bits continues, this time I'm in search of a solution for a slightly saggy headlining. My car is an RS2 with a sunroof, I'd like to keep it as OEM as possible but happy to switch material if needs be. Anyone any experience of the best solution?

There is no quick solution, the material has to be changed as the foam is disintegrating.
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72682

Its a lot of work.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Eric is correct, I tried spraying glue on it but once the foam breaks down there is no glue that will hold it, only solution is to replace the fabric, it's not too difficult but you need to be patient to avoid breaking anything.

I am retrimming my headlining at the moment, it's an opportunity to tighten the trim panels if they were a bit squeaky (as in my case) plus I took the opportunity to use alcantara to trim the roof and the pillar trims, just because I can .....

If your headlining is sagging, you might want to check for leaks, dampness causes the foam to breakdown, in my case it was a leak from the roof aerial

Good luck

Paul

Comment

Alcantara all the way

Comment

That looks awesome!!! Just what I had in mind.

I presume that you removed the whole headlining, pulled the original material off, brushed it down and set to with the new material.

Can I ask where you bought the replacement material from and what you used to stick it to the foam?

Originally posted by RS2junkie View Post
          Eric is correct, I tried spraying glue on it but once the foam breaks down there is no glue that will hold it, only solution is to replace the fabric, it's not too difficult but you need to be patient to avoid breaking anything.

I am retrimming my headlining at the moment, it's an opportunity to tighten the trim panels if they were a bit squeaky (as in my case) plus I took the opportunity to use alcantara to trim the roof and the pillar trims, just because I can .....

If your headlining is sagging, you might want to check for leaks, dampness causes the foam to breakdown, in my case it was a leak from the roof aerial

Good luck

Paul

Comment

I got it as a gift from a friend of mine.. And he bought it for 80 euros

Comment

on my list too...glad i have seen a pic of it trimmed in Alcantara, i was reading elsewhere it wasn't elastic enough to use....that confirms otherwise
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Alas, this thread is of interest..... Keep the options coming folk....
                85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Flocking maybe ?
                  Or take material and foam off and spray it?

Comment

I thought of getting my headlining flocked but do you think they would be able to get a close match to the original headliner so I dont have to take the sunroof apart too?

Comment

Hi

Need to do my headlining and as yours looks so good I'd like to use the same,

Can you remember which alcantara you used ?, did it come with a foam backing, did you apply separately or just glue it straight onto the headlining

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers Paul
                      1995 RS2 Nogaro
                      1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                      1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

I did my audi 90 with some ebay.de bought oem white/creme looking fabric with foam backing. Used a nail brush and a japanese putty nife to get the nasty sticky old foam off. Used 3m 8080 glue in spraycan.
                        On my doorcards i took the glue of using a steam cleaner and it took me 10 minutes for each panel.
                        For my rs2 also looking for the best oem look black with foam backing.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by blux; 17 April 2017, 16:29.
                        1967 fiat 500 future project
                        1976 audi 100 coupe S
                        1989 vw corrado 16V
                        1989 audi 90 quattro 20V sport
                        1994 audi RS2 project
                        1994 audi RS2 parts car
                        1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

I think there are so many people lining up this job it almost justifies a new forum!

On the topic of trimming the pillars, is this something only done in the RS2? And which pillars? I'm thinking about a couple and can't quite imagine trimming all the plastic trims.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          1990 CQ20v
                          2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Nj View Post
                            I think there are so many people lining up this job it almost justifies a new forum!

On the topic of trimming the pillars, is this something only done in the RS2? And which pillars? I'm thinking about a couple and can't quite imagine trimming all the plastic trims.
                            Oem rs2 has trimmed a pilars. Rest is black plastic.
                            My corrado has alcantara dash als a,b and c pilars. Also central console is covered. B pilar is a difficult one with the seatbelt adjustment.
                            1967 fiat 500 future project
                            1976 audi 100 coupe S
                            1989 vw corrado 16V
                            1989 audi 90 quattro 20V sport
                            1994 audi RS2 project
                            1994 audi RS2 parts car
                            1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Originally posted by blux View Post
                              Oem rs2 has trimmed a pilars. Rest is black plastic.
                              My corrado has alcantara dash als a,b and c pilars. Also central console is covered. B pilar is a difficult one with the seatbelt adjustment.
                              Hi,

i retrimmed the headlining and all the pillar trims & sun visors in charcoal alcantara. Its not that difficult, just takes time and patience. The sun visors need to be stitched, the rest is done with a spray contact adhesive. The end results are worth the effort.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X