Near heart failure wrt Front speaker removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near heart failure wrt Front speaker removal

Had some time to kill on a wed satrurday morning waiting on one of the 'wains' and thought it about time to remove a front speaker so I could (a) see what all the fuss was about and (b) see if I could find anything in Halfrauds that would fit

1 - Lever up the speaker trim gently - starting at the edge near the air vent... Lucky cos thats that where both mine had a cutaway to make this easy. Each one had three small sections of ds-tape which help keep the trim on neatly.

2 - Then its a single star-headed screw that holds the speaker in the dash... After that is out, some rotation and jiggling gets the speaker out.

3 - Pull off the two speaker wires and thats it - piece of cake - standard 10cm Nokia speaker

I've been taking photos along the way - with my Nokia phone - for posterity as you do.

Here's where the heart attack comes in ---> shortly after step three I somehow managed th tip the bloody phone down the speaker hole - it was on the dashboard for ease of access and I just nudged it.

It shot down there like a rat down a drainpipe... I put my hand in as far as possible and there was no way that was gonna help. So I closed my eyes counted to ten, wondering WTF to do next - hoping it was just a bad dream - oh the misery at the thought of dashboard removal to retrieve a stupid phone.

So, luckily I lost the bap and gave the glovebox a good old kick - "******* car, why do I ****ing bother" (or words to that effect) and then................

the phone dropped into the footwell... What joy !

I kid thee not.

'kin lucky
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

lmao nice one paul, shows that not just me has episodes like that

but the big question was, did you find a speaker you fancy changing that for?

Comment

Nuhhh - did find plenty of budget priced ones in Halfrauds that would fit - Alpine & Pioneer, but they all sounded a bit too thin for me - I'm not expecting megabass on a 10cm speaker but they just didn't cut it... and TBH I couldn't bring myself to speak to the dorky looking **** at the audio counter. Most expensive ones were 30quid and I know there are units from Hertz audio that get good reviews for like 40 quid so I didn't want to rush it.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thats quite funny, you'd have got it by taking out the glove box though anyway

In a fit of gratuitous weight saving, I removed the 10" 2 kilo speakers from the back shelf of the ur and replaced them with a little pair of Pioneer? 2 ways I got on some door cards, they're pretty rubbish though, the nokias in the S2 sound better IMO

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Thinking about itI've still got hte MB quarts I got off the Bay a while back to fit.. I got them quite cheap too.

Any speaker needs a box to work in to get bass, in the case of a car this is the dash, you won't know what they sound like till they're in there.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

I've recentley upgraded the fronts to JBL GTO items as these where already fitted to the rear on my avant.

Cost £19 (brand new) delivered from good old ebay, sound dam good to me

just my 2 pence worth

cheers

rich

PS I use JBL speakers for DJing/messin with music sideline.
            sigpic
            "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
            BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
            1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
            2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

LMAO at that Paul. It is not often venting your frustration leads to a solution...
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                LMAO at that Paul. It is not often venting your frustration leads to a solution...
                So true, but ya feel better afterwards, unless you hurt yourself in the process

Nice result Paul, guess the S decided it owed ya one
                Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

I have the original speakers here (10cm/4" simple cone speakers) BUT with 3 way crossvers, and they sounds PERFECT!!
                  photobucket SUCKS
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M_GORDON View Post
                    I have the original speakers here (10cm/4" simple cone speakers) BUT with 3 way crossvers, and they sounds PERFECT!!
                    I think the above comment hits the nail on the head.

Even modern 10 pound speaker will sound better than old audi items. But its all to do with what sounds your trying to get out of them. So if you have your cross over just letting the tops through to them they will sound ok. try and get bass out of the poor little blighters and they are going to be like a renaunlt five turbo..
                    see what i mean. I have jbl speakers and they sound and go as loud as my ears will let them but i have a graphic only allowing the midrange music go to them.
                    Also as far as speakers in cars go i can never help myself i always end up putting some tweeters up on the front pillar they just make streos sound so much better. Although i imagine this would loose the oem look you stick to.
                    And as for the phone thats so what i would do..

Comment

im not really into car audio much, yet, i have a big *** system in my house and i know the importance good passive crossovers but everything for the hifi market is 8 ohm, so were do you get 4ohm passive crossovers?

Comment

Originally posted by pixsaudisex2 View Post
                        I think the above comment hits the nail on the head.

Even modern 10 pound speaker will sound better than old audi items. But its all to do with what sounds your trying to get out of them. So if you have your cross over just letting the tops through to them they will sound ok. try and get bass out of the poor little blighters and they are going to be like a renaunlt five turbo..
                        see what i mean. I have jbl speakers and they sound and go as loud as my ears will let them but i have a graphic only allowing the midrange music go to them.
                        Also as far as speakers in cars go i can never help myself i always end up putting some tweeters up on the front pillar they just make streos sound so much better. Although i imagine this would loose the oem look you stick to.
                        And as for the phone thats so what i would do..
                        I don´t understand you correctly.
                        Well yes, 4" speaker not sound deeply. But it´s 4" speaker! it´s for mediums ONLY!!
                        photobucket SUCKS
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by goodall View Post
                          im not really into car audio much, yet, i have a big *** system in my house and i know the importance good passive crossovers but everything for the hifi market is 8 ohm, so were do you get 4ohm passive crossovers?
                          Kaixo!
                          Yes I have 3 way passive crossovers, and yes, they are for 4ohms.
                          I put in the doors 6" DLS loudspeakers, 4" original speakers to ONLY mediums and 2 Macrom tweeters to high freq. but not metallic, they´re of "silk". All high-passed from the "head" >60Hz

In the rear doors have 2 way crossover with original tweeter and 6" Macrom medium/bass. All high-passed from the "head" >80Hz

In rear I make a box with 12" "don´t remember" subwoofer without bass reflex, at 180º fased and low-passed from the "head" <50Hz (deep and low). Too in this box, but separated, I put one pair of Infinity Kappa 6x9 high passed >80Hz.

All it goberned from a Kenwood with 3 pairs, 4.5v output, and a lot of filters and Q factors, ... and amplified with one 5-chanels Alpine V12 ampli and in the rear door, with the original amplis (but I must change they and put one 2-chanels Steg ampli)

AND ALL IT SOUND VERY GOOD
                          photobucket SUCKS
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X