This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICE wiring

The ICE wiring in my RS2 has still got the original ISO connectors. I'm not used to this luxury as the wiring has normally been butchered.

The connector for live feed, etc only has 4 wires, i.e. permanent live, ground, illumination & antenna amp. The problem is that in it's current position the live feed pin only goes to the ignition feed on the Blaupunkt connector (pin 7). So it needs another wire to match up to the live feed on the Blaupunkt radio (pin 4).

How have people got around this with their Blaupunkt units ? Is there an adapter cable available or is it possible to just fit another wire in pin 4 of the car connector & splice it into the ignition wire ? I have tried doing this but the wire terminals I've taken out of donor ISO connectors have been too big. I don't really want to resort to chopping off the ISO connector if I don't have to....
    Attached Files
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Buy an ISO adapter for the Audi Coupe easiest way.

It's a thing with German cars, all that is need is that the perm live and the ignition live be bi-wired together, which is what is done on the ISO adapter.

Comment

Get a male to female pin-to-pin lead (like an extension lead) - then you can put the between your stereo and car wiring loom and you can splice the permanent 12v into that lead. Halfords is an easy place to get the adapters but I am sure I have seen places that sell the connectors cheaper online - can't remember where though.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I did not tamper with the ISO connector in mine and instead found a permanent live feed from behind the heater controls, used that and spliced directly into the wiring on the back of my stereo....

Its each to their own on this one I guess. Doug has a good idea with the male to female adaptor though.....
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

True, dunno if Al did mine but i have a switched ignition feed on mine so stereo will only work with ignition on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
            True, dunno if Al did mine but i have a switched ignition feed on mine so stereo will only work with ignition on.
            Mine's been butchered by a previous owner, but it all works. When I turn the car off, my stereo will continue to work until I remove the keys from the ignition. I can even have the key half out of the barrel and the radio will still work. Don't ask me how its wired though. Its a bit messy behind there.
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
              Ah ha! Does your stereo keep its memory when switched off? The Kenwood Mask just will not work correctly without being connected to 12v all the time...

Edited 'cause I is fick!

What I meant to say was, I had to FIND a switched 12v feed as the one in the ISO connector is permenant and the Kenwood Mask needs a switched feed to make it close automatically.....

I chose to splice into a switched feed on the back of the heater controls.....

Cheers,

Steve.
              Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 9 September 2004, 13:28.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

My MY 91 coupe had only the permanent feed but no switched one.

I took the switched one from the light buzzer so that radio will stay on as long as the key in in ignition switch even if it's turned to 0 position. When removing the key the radio turns off as the light buzzer starts to scream if lights are on.
                -

Comment

you should have a permenent ,and one that goes over the ignition that is how it´s made from the faktori,the only diffrence is the that number 7 is number 4,and number 4 is 7 so you should take both wires out and then swiths them over,that is how all vw audi kabels are made from the faktori at least the ones from de and dk.you could boy the addapter but all that ekstra kabel the rum back of the radio is very small.
                  i don´t now why blaupunkt has don this they make the ones from the factory as well.

Regards
                  RIX

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                    Ah ha! Does your stereo keep its memory when switched off? The Kenwood Mask just will not work correctly without being connected to 12v all the time...

Edited 'cause I is fick!

What I meant to say was, I had to FIND a switched 12v feed as the one in the ISO connector is permenant and the Kenwood Mask needs a switched feed to make it close automatically.....

I chose to splice into a switched feed on the back of the heater controls.....

Cheers,

Steve.
                    Yeh it does, the perm 12V + is there by standard, somebody has just rigged the 12V to be wired of the ignition so that the radio will only work when the key is turned to right full lock.

I dont mind, stops me killing my battery although i might change it in the future.

The memory thing occurs when the ignition and 12v perm live get switched around on the ISO (BTDT!) so the ignition is live but the 12v perm on radio is connect to ignition - result radio works but when ignition turned of radio losses memory because no perm 12v input!

Comment

Originally posted by RIX
                      you should have a permenent ,and one that goes over the ignition that is how it´s made from the faktori
                      Regards
                      RIX
                      Mine definitely hasn't got an ignition feed

Originally posted by RIX
                      the only diffrence is the that number 7 is number 4,and number 4 is 7 so you should take both wires out and then swiths them over
                      Regards
                      RIX
                      Easier said than done I think. The only way I could remove the wires is by cutting open the ISO connector....
                      Last edited by Pete_RS2; 9 September 2004, 15:51.
                      Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

no take a very small shrewdriver/steel tread,and stik it in from the front,then bend the flaps on the side of the small connechtions,it´s not that hard have don it on all the cars i have had 1 mark golf gti,2 golf 3 vr6,1 mark 4 golf gti turbo,my curunt s2 avant,the audi s3 i had last year had the very nice symphony radio std.so there was no need.
                        Rix

Comment

I always fit independent wiring for my car audio direct to battery, totally avoiding all factory electrics.

It's the only sure way to know that it's safe, and eliminates the chance of any ground loops. Mind you, my installs are always a little extreme...
                          acidtrax

Comment

Originally posted by Avant S2
                            Mine definitely hasn't got an ignition feed

Easier said than done I think. The only way I could remove the wires is by cutting open the ISO connector....
                            Go to halfords or order offline an ISO adapter for the Audi Coupe.

It's quick and simply and a drop in the ocean in price if you've got the dosh for an RS2!!!

Autoleads do one.

Try http://www.caraudiodirect.com or http://www.caraudiodiscount.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Jamo
                              Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X