No announcement yet.

urs4 front speaker upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia as well. Can't understand why the car manufacturer uses speaker drivers made by a gumboot manufacturer (lately made cellphones though ). Same thing with my bimmer...

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by DamianURS4 View Post
      I managed to squeeze Edge 5.25", 130mm 210W component speakers in there - bought from sHalfords - they were a very good replacement at a competitive price!
      Damian, do you run the stock speaker grills with these, or the ones that game with the edge speakers. I recieved mine today and tried fitting, but its a no go unless I cut some mounting tabs off the speaker and cut loads of plastic off the door. So I fitted them in the back. Fit there great and sound good. Could you take some pics of your install. I would order another set if I new how to fit them. Cheers des.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
        Damian, do you run the stock speaker grills with these, or the ones that game with the edge speakers. I recieved mine today and tried fitting, but its a no go unless I cut some mounting tabs off the speaker and cut loads of plastic off the door. So I fitted them in the back. Fit there great and sound good. Could you take some pics of your install. I would order another set if I new how to fit them. Cheers des.
        Did you ever fit the 5.25" fronts? I'm looking to fit some in mine and they do look tight.
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

You can make the sound in the C4 a lot better, even without replacing the stock in the door. Here's what I did on my A6:
          • clear the felt from the inside of the tweeter frame
          • get a 4 channel (or 3 channel) amp that has adjustable HP and LP filters on all channels (many have)
          • get a sub
          • hook up the fronts on 2 channels on the sub, and the sub on the other (bridge if the amp allows, use a DVC sub otherwise)
          • filter the fronts at 100 of 120Hz highpass
          • filter sub lowpass to match fronts
          the standard Nokia 5" is not a bad midrange, trying to get bass out of it ruins it... you'll be surprised how good the standard stuff sounds like this (a lot better than what the put in the C5).

In addition to this I also added a center to fill in (a small midrange speaker) that got a mono signal (if you have a very stable amp, get a tri mode filter, otherwise use a small separate amp for it) placed where the ashtray used to be.

the biggest challenge might be where to put the sub: in the trunk not much sounds gets in. I had mine in the footwell behind the driver's seet

Comment

I use 6,5" in stock place, DLS Iridium is the model with neodym magnet as they build alot less. Have modded the inside of the door card and attached a steel plate so you screw the speakers from the inside. No problem to roll down the window and the stock plastic grill are used. Never seen this been done before but I did
            1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
            2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
            2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
            2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

Also the Tweeter i1 is used in the stock place and the filterboxes are located inside the car not in the doorcards as that is really a poor choise. Using the front speakers with a A2 amp and with a Pioneer P88RS2 HU, a Iridium 12" subwoofer powerd by a A6 monoblock, sounds really good... no need for more speakers and also I damped the front doors with 2 layers of butyl rubber sheets 2mm each. On the entire door, rock solid
              2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Originally posted by Wrath View Post
                I use 6,5" in stock place, DLS Iridium is the model with neodym magnet as they build alot less. Have modded the inside of the door card and attached a steel plate so you screw the speakers from the inside. No problem to roll down the window and the stock plastic grill are used. Never seen this been done before but I did
                Any pictures?
                sigpic

Comment

Just found this:-

http://wiki.audiworld.com/index.php/...by_A6AvantErik

Looks like the key could be mounting them on the inside rather than the outside, looks like I'm also going to need a Dremmel, anybody got Madwolfs number?
                  sigpic

Comment

can see if I have any pictures, but I did similar to that guide, used MDF and a steelplate instead of that thin wood boardwwsses and the 6,5" speakers... cutted som plastic off in the doorcards and used 2k adhesive body glue (for fenders and such) to make it solid instead of fiberglass plastic...
                    2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Have search my computer and found some picture of how I did to install 6,5" speakers without having problem with my windows and door cards. This is how it looks.

Speakers I used are DLS Iridium 6.2 with neodymn magnets, otherwise they build to much and will interfere with the window. I used 2k body glue and MDF to build up the surrounding. And then damping in the doors. Had to cut a little on the inside to fit the steel ring but otherwise it fitted perfectly and the tweeter is on stock place on the door.

Never have filter in the doors...
                      2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but what's the reason for not putting the crossovers inside the doors?

Comment

The moist will make them brake.
                          2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Aha! Thanks.

I don't suppose you'd be able to re-upload the pictures above? I can see the first 2 but the other links are broken and I really want to see how you fitted 6.5" speakers in there!

Cheers,
                            Tom

Comment

Tom: no problem, have you tried right click and show picture? Otherwise i can probably reupload them later...
                              2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Aha - I can see them now. Thanks.

Where did you get the metal rings from?

Comment

Working...
                                X