ICE Upgrade, Dash and Sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICE Upgrade, Dash and Sub

Hi, I will put some pictures up later but I thought I would give you an update.

So Far I have fitted some MB Quart Components in the front speaker locations, with the tweeters a direct fit in the demister vents.... What a difference ! they are not even run in yet and they sound superb.

I am Running a Sony Minidisc head unit, and an Alpine Amp for the front Components. With a Kenwood Mono Amp for the Sub in the boot.

The sub choice is currently between my trusty old Alpine 10" in a Total overkill 1" thick MDF sealed enclosure of about 0.5cu/ft and loads of wadding, which looks terrible and battered, but still kicks like a mule and sounds superb..... OR the new Infinity perfect 12.1 in a generic flimsy box of indeterminate volume, which drops lower but has nowhere near the kick or sound of the Alpine.
    Now I`m sure a lot of this is to do with the Crap Box design and I`m hoping my New Fibreglassed boot corner enclosure will fix that, but I am still undecided whether to mount the 12 in there or the Alpine Ten, and sell on the Infinity ?
    I dont want to lose the Punch of the 10 so was going to keep the enclosure small, that way it will be a small volume for the 12" but a Slightly bigger than now volume for the 10" which should allow the 10 to drop lower or th e12 to hit harder ?
    IF that makes any sense ?

I have also fitted Infinity Reference 6.5" in the modified stock rear "Shelf" (90Q Remember) positions, which just gives rear fill, run from the Head unit internal amp.

I`ll get some pictures of the Fibreglassing and components later.
    In the mean time if you want a set of the same, the chap I bought mine off has another set on Ebay at the moment:

MB Quarts

No connection other than a happy customer, and thought someone here might benefit
    Cheers
    Dom

Sounds very nice, look forward to some pics...
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Same geezer i bought my MBQuartz from.

Sounds good, if you want to use a 12" you can use them in 1 cb ft box, just make sure it's close to the sub min capacity.

Infinity subs are cr*p you'd be better off with the 10"

I'm getting a pro plus 12" soon, i haven't heard anyhitng that touches it for clean punching dance music bass.

Comment

if you fancy making two fibre glass moulds for the sub box would buy one off of you

Greg
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
          if you fancy making two fibre glass moulds for the sub box would buy one off of you

Greg
          Its a 90Q remember...... Are they different to the Coupe ?
          I`ll get some pics done to show you where its going to sit
          Its not difficult to do either

Comment

A friend of mine had 2 Infinity Perfect 10s on a Alpine MRV1000 (one of the good old ones), they used a hell of a lot of power, but didn’t seem to do much with it.
            If only they still did the old Beta 10.
            If you find the Subs Qts (or Qes and Qms), fs (resonant frequency) and Vas, you should be able to calculate the ideal enclosure size. Any decent manufacturer should be able to tell you.
            SS

Comment

if it aint too bad might try my hand at it, been chopping loads of bits of wood up this afternoon to make myself a deck/cd player stand

Greg
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Some pics

This is the Trimmed Fibreglass "Back" of the Sub Enclosure.
                There will be an MDF Baffle positioned at an angle to take the sub, glassed on to this section.

And these are the MB Quarts in the stock dash locations with tweeters in the Demister vents:

If I get time tomorrow I`ll finish the Baffle.
                I have been making some other `Glass pods as well, but not for inside use and not for speakers either

All will be revealed in the fullness of time

Cheers
                Dom

Comment

Working...
                X