This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Wheel Alignment specs

Can anybody confirm these are correct please? Not convinced about the rear toe out, Should it not toe in?

If anybody has any tweaks i would love to hear...

Thanks,

Mark.

Front Wheel Alignment:

Total toe in: +10' +/- 10'

Camber: -50' +/- 30'

Track angle @ 20 % lock: -1' +/- 30'

Castor: +2"15' +/- 30'

Rear Wheel Alignment:

Total toe out: +20' +/- 20'

Camber: -1" +/- 20'
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Here's an extract from the good book.
    HTH.
    Attached Files
    SS

Comment

The specs are on S2central.net
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

As for tweaks - Lee is much better qualified to talk to this as he tried various settings on his Avant...

But my liking is always for more NEGATIVE camber at the front - it improves turn-in response - too much -ve camber and yoy get silly tyre wear.

The important thing to watch on all other specs is you get them EVEN. Lets say the spec is 1-5 degrees for something. Don't let your alignment place say its in spec if they get 1 degree on one side and 5 on the other - get them even on each side for best handling balance.

Another tip is not to do the measurements with an empty drivers seat !

Paul
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I stick with stock RS2 settings and 1.5 neg camber up front. Works for me and suits my setup & driving style.
          1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
          Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Hows the front tyre wear at -1.5 then ?
            Paul Nugent

Comment

Stops the outsides wearing!! This has been a major problem on my front tyres until I increased the neg camber.

I get pretty even wear with those settings now. Its a drive it like you stole it thing and such neg camber works fine for me.
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Those look similar to the Ur quattro settings, which also toes out at the back slightly. Typically safe Audi settings. Using 1.0 to 1.5 degrees negative camber on the front works rather well - also on FWD Audis.

Comment

IIRC I've got Toe Out the front and Toe In on the back of my cq20v. It seems to make it turn in quicker, combined with a steeper castor than my S2. It catches me out going from one to the other. Very different handling between the two.
                  SS

Comment

4 Wheel Alignment specs

This subject has been banded about the forum, but i can't find any definitive definitions..

Can somebody explain exactly what a 4 wheel alignment is and why the Audi S2 requires it?

Also whats the difference between a 4 wheel alignment and the standard alignment available at garages.

Thanks

Comment

just had a 4wheel alignment done on mine a 4 wheel aligns the front and rear wheels for castor, camber and toe it sets the steering wheel straight and sets the centre andle of the steering

hope this helps
                      1994 ABY Avant

Comment

Im no expert but here goes...

"Can somebody explain exactly what a 4 wheel alignment is and why the Audi S2 requires it?"

changes the camber or toe in/out settings on all 4 wheels so they point straight. S2 needs it as its 4x4 car.

"Also whats the difference between a 4 wheel alignment and the standard alignment available at garages."

standard aligns only front wheels?

Ive herd national does the best alignments.

Im probably totally wrong so please correct me
                        ABY Coupe
                        sigpic

Comment

Yup. You guys are spot on. I had loads of trouble with "pulling" on the car and spent a fair bit on alignment. In the end it turned out that there was not much wrong with the allignment - the problem lay in the fact that one of my tyres was heavier than the rest of em

Comment

It's a good question Jamo. What I don't understand is why there should be any technical difference between a garage who can do a 2-wheel alignment and a 4-wheel alignment? Surely it's the same equipment, and the same adjustments to make?

when people here recommend places for 4-wheel alignment, does that mean they actually do all 4 wheels in one go, or are they doing one axle at a time?

Why then does having quattro mean that our cars need 4-wheel alignment when other cars don't? Don't other cars also have 4 wheels that all need aligning too? Example is any RWD car, surely you've got to align all of these too? If not, why not?

Tyres are crucial to any car's handling. Uneven wear across an axle pair can cause strange pulling behavior as the overall size of each wheel will be different.
                            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

The equipment needed to do a 4 wheel alignment is different from 2wd hence why only some places can do it.

Its effectively 4 front wheels from that point of view in that you get all the same adjustment on the back as you do the front.

Other cars ie FWD only need the front doing as the rears on there cars simply dont have the parts there for adjusting, the wheels are just there, if things arent straight then they have ot change the parts.

ALl 4 wheels are aligned together as the laser that goes from left to right, also lines along front to back as well, so they are tracked as a whole.
                              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X