Strut top tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut top tools

Hi all, could someone please post pics of the strut top tools to remove the top mounts, also could you give me the dimensions of the tool i.e. A/F size and depth.
    Cheers
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

I've modded a 1/2 inch drive deep socket which i used sucessfully? PM me if you wanna borrow it? I think it was about a 13mm if i remember? With the end ground down to leave two lugs?
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Cheers Glen but if is as simple as that i will make one at work as i have a few deep reach sockets, cheers for the info though
      Graham
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Graham, I can positively say that the 'proper' tool aint worth it!! I did my tops mounts today with the proper tool, and the bloody thing broke with minimal torque applied!! I tightened them up with a screwdriver, tapped with a light hammer, worked better than the damn tool!!

Martyn
        Martyn
        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Cheers Martyn, i will contact you soon about some strut tops for the car, (will have to see how much christmas stings me )they are most definitely sh*gged, i fancy a nice set of blues.
          Graham

Comment

:-) no problem!
            Martyn
            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

WOrd of warning on the use of a screwdriver to nip up the top inner nut (in lieu of VW524) is that you can well and truly shag this nut if it is brutalised. I met this before and the pisser is that the proper tool is not fully effective at tightening such damaged nuts.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Graham, ive made a tool for the slotted nut, used am M14 nut and milled 2 flats, 3mm deep, leaving the 'lug' 5mm wide in middle.
                theres a pic in this thread

pic

martin

Comment

Does anyone know anywhere where i can get the socket for the strut top nut, 22mm one with cut out in it...VAG3078....or are they cheap enough from dealers?

Comment

Cheers Martinjs, i will knock a few up on monday if that is all they are, no problem
                    Graham

Comment

Working...
                    X