Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather annoying klonk noise

Hi all

Well a new year and more stuff to do on the car. Can anyone help me pinpoint the source of my recently aquired noise.

It started about two months back and is slowly getting worse. It only occurs on the LH side front wheel area and is a fairly metallic klonk noise that only occurs when I pull off, and to a lesser extent, when I stop. The car has new blue top mounts (4 mths ago) and if I jack up the front and tug about on everything nothing seems to have any play (that I can see). I have also recently replaced the ARB bushes (two split rubber jobs) and I took the front brake bits off and made sure all was tight (it was). I have also check that the top mounts are still tight and they are.

Could this be sub frame bushes ? A-frame bushes/ball joint ? Engine mount ? Any ideas ? I don't really want to do a trial and error method if I can help it.

Thanks
    Andre
    1995 RS2 Avant - Custom SS exhaust, Koni adjustables, Custom map, large grin ...

Hi,

I have the same if i reverse into a parking space then when i pull away and turn the wheel i get a similar klonk.

I'd guess its either the ball joint, wishbone bushes or top mount.

On mine at least, i have new blue tops, 18 month old wishbone bushes so the only unchanged one is the lower all joint...?!?!?!

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Audi did a recall on the s2 style Quattros. This was due to a clunk from the front strut areas. It was caused by the ARB links being 3mm too short or something similar. I have it on my coupe. It sounds like someone has hit the front strut with a lump of wood when you turn at rest ( Ie when parking).

My coupe had done 7k miles before the front coil spring transit rubbers were removed! ( this was fitted at the factory to stop coupes grounding going on and off ramps. It would lift them about 1 inch ( 25mm for our metric readers). I don't know if this masked the link problem.

Comment

Not what I was looking for but interesting none the less maybe worth it's own seperate thread.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/05/89055435.html

Comment

I would check that brake caliper carrier bolts are secure
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Re: Rather annoying klonk noise

Originally posted by andre
            Hi all

(snip)
            Can anyone help me pinpoint the source of my recently aquired noise.

It started about two months back and is slowly getting worse. It only occurs when I pull off.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
            Andre
            Way too much info here Andre.... or the wrong forum...

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Check your brake pads. I have known a pads to be a little bit loose in the carrier and they can clonk when going from reverse to forward and vice-versa. Copper grease helps to eliminate this.
              HTH
              Chris
              A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Which side of the pad do you put the Coppaslip Chris?

I had a similar problem on a Citroen BX caliper.

The noise is very distinct and mine comes from the suspension. It may be from the spring winding up and then slipping?

David

Comment

check the spring is seated properly in the cup at the bottom on my old stock suspension it could move a little out of position and make the clonk. New H&R's solved that one....

David
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Stick, "Coppaslip" on the back of the pads and on the ends of the pads where they "slide" in the carrier.
                    The suspension clonk like you have described as on your Citroen :eek2:
                    I have seen this quite a lot but mainly when a spring has been broken. It happens a lot on Mondeo's, they break right at the top and you need a torch to notice it when doing an MOT. (Tom take note :nana: )
                    Also make sure the top cup nut is tight under the bearing, this can also make a knocking noise.
                    Regards,
                    Chris
                    A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Same noice on my car, 2 of the left side bushings in the subframe was ripped apart, so the subframe at the rear hit the floor...klonk
                      3B->AAN converted to ADU, porsche 314mm front, 269 vented rear brakes S6

Comment

Hi Steffen

How did you check the sub frame bushes? My sound is a bit like a solid object making contact with bodywork. I jacked the car up last weekend using the subframe as a jack point and could see the rear subframe bush deform quite a bit as I jacked. Should there be any movement on the subframe at all ?

My noise is also getting worse and I can now hear a sort of rattling klonk if I drive over rough roads so either way I will find it soon (after something falls off )

Thanks
                        Andre
                        Last edited by andre; 13 January 2004, 08:26.
                        1995 RS2 Avant - Custom SS exhaust, Koni adjustables, Custom map, large grin ...

Comment

Sorry Chris, I was just joking when I asked about the Coppaslip. The Citroen aftermarket pads are smaller than original as the genuine ones stick.

I have just fitted new wishbones to my 4 x 4 Mondeo and although the rubbers lookes a little perished they didn't seem so bad. I suddenly had sharp handling again and the car was much quieter.

Just because you can't find anything wrong doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong!

If your car has done 100K+ then the bushes will not be at their best. How about assuming they have gone and replace them anyway. Handling and brakes are always a good idea. I still like power though!

I must look at the rear suspension to do the same now. any idea which mondeo bushes are prone to going on the back please Chris?

David

Comment

Working...
                          X