Advice on pipe from the steering rack needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on pipe from the steering rack needed

Audi S2 Coupe 1996 ABY Right Hand Drive.

I have a very small power steering fluid leak and it looks bad.

I need some help to identifying a pipe or advice if the end can be remade.

There is a pipe on the underside of the steering rack, it looks like a brake pipe type connection.

As I said its connected to the middle on the underside of the rack it then does a u turn up the back of the rack. The metal pipe then converts to a flexible pipe for about 100mm and then converts back to metal again.

It looks like it goes to the master cylinder of the brake system but I could be wrong.

Can anybody confirm what it is and were does it go to.

Also if anybody has one could you measure the total length and advise the type of connection used at each end.

I cannot even find the part number for it.

Have you a picture of it I might be able to help as I’ve just removed few boxes of my aby stuff into another garage

Comment

Will see if I can get my phone inside tonight, will post pic when I have one.

Comment

I'm not aware of any pipe connections on the underside of the rack. They all attach on the top.

Here's a picture I took while changing a steering rack

The pipe in the pic doesn't go to the rack
        Last edited by Mikes2; 28 September 2017, 19:47.
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Having looked closer I agree it does not go to the rack.

It is connected to another pipe what looks like it goes from left to right under/behind the rack.

The first picture shows the pipe in the center of the picture at the back.

The second picture is looking from the right hand side wheel arch through the inner wheel arch and the tee pipe connection is just below the rack.

So whats this pipe for. Whats the part number. Anybody have the type of connections at each end and the length/design of the pipe.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by orsum; 28 September 2017, 20:32.

Comment

You have two pressure lines from the pump - one for the PAS system which goes to the top of the rack via the curly ended hose.
            The other is the pressure line to the pressure accumulator (bomb) for the hydraulic brake assist.
            The hose from the pinion housing on the rack is the PAS return line to the fluid reservoir.

The smaller bore pipe which you identified from the top of the servo which joins the PAS return line under the rack is the brake circuit return line.
            It has an M10x1 brake line fitting at either end.

HTH
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Looks like 894612069B for a rhd ABY. return line to servo
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Unable to get the pipe off looks like I may need to break the pipe and use a socket or ring spanner.

This pipe connection thing is holding up the turbo upgrade.

Having another go at it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                    I'm not aware of any pipe connections on the underside of the rack. They all attach on the top.

Here's a picture I took while changing a steering rack

The pipe in the pic doesn't go to the rack
                    If it’s this pipe with rubber then steel pipe I can remember it goes to gearbox. As I had a ptfe ss one made instead.

Comment

This looks like the same pipe.

In the picture there is a large nut at the back on the right you can see it standing out against the red paintwork this looks like it returns to the power steering tank. The copper pipe is tee off this pipe and goes to the brake master cylinder , you can see the pipe in the picture I posted.

I have two attempts to get the union loose one with a flaring spanner and the other with small adjustable grips.

If both of these tools do not work I will break the pipe off and use an 11mm socket and then remake the end.

Wish me luck

Comment

I already told you above what this hose is and where it goes - its the servo fluid return and joins the PAS return line under the rack (back to the fluid reservoir).
                        Why do you need to remove this to fit your RS2 turbo? Regardless, you need to use a brake union spanner to avoid rounding it off.

ken5823520k.jpg
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Error404 I did listen to your advice and you were spot on with the pipe many thanks. Sorry should have said servo not master cylinder wrong word used.

This is South Africa we are talking about, I do not live in the city. I spent the day on the phone looking for a brake spanner, (GEDORE Flare Nut Spanner with a 9mm & 11mm end part number 6056970) they tell me they do not carry the stock and will have to order from the factory. It will take 3 days to get one to a shop 100KM from my home. This means order today pick it up Friday at best, if it does not arrive it will be Monday next week as they are closed over the weekend. 200km round trip for a spanner that I will use once. My B7 S4 4.2ltr V8 will use more in petrol than the cost of a spanner.

The only reason I am stopping the turbo job is the access to the pipe from the engine compartment is better with the turbo and exhaust manifold removed.

I can also get to the pipe via the inner wheel arch but I am fully stretched.

For whatever reason the pipe is leaking and will most likely need a new end making off. The bad part of this is the pipe union it does not want to come loose. I have also arranged the loan of a flaring tool to make the new pipe off should it be needed.

Everything I do to the S2 has to be a fix it once and never go back, time is running out to play with this car and my age is against me when phyisically trying to gain access to hard to reach parts.

40 years ago I would have taken the union off with my fingers in three minutes and polished off a case of beers while doing it, these days it takes a spanner, half a bottle of a painkiller (Jameson) and two weekends.
                          Last edited by orsum; 9 October 2017, 22:10.

Comment

I understand better now
                            TBH I would recommend getting a new / 2nd hand pipe, if its leaking, its likely the flexi section which has degraded and making the end off again, even if there is enough material to do that (I assume you have a flaring tool? ) may not fix the problem.
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Will see what it looks like when it comes off. Not sure I would take the used option. I am quite sure I could get the copper - rubber - copper pipe made locally, already asked Audi for the OEM part and they said NLA from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X