• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John , much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post

Thanks for the advise.
      My problem is the car is in my mates garage and I am on a time limit.
      How much work is involved in removing repairing and replacing .
      Also what was the cost
      From memory, was a while back, £30 for it to be blasted, £80 for the welding at a local bodyshop/classic car place and then £30 for zinc prime and black powdercoat.

Good luck!
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp
          Thanks
          Just be carefull with powder coating stuff as if and when it chips( and it will) water will get underneath and wil rot I've done both my subframes and used hydrate 80 then about 3 coats pro 15 chassis black and will probably see me out

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
          THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
            Just be carefull with powder coating stuff as if and when it chips( and it will) water will get underneath and wil rot I've done both my subframes and used hydrate 80 then about 3 coats pro 15 chassis black and will probably see me out

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
            That's why I had mine galvanised, I'd had my struts and springs powder coated and it wasn't cheep considering they didn't look good for long

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Is there a reason NOT to galvanize struts? The only thing i can think is maybe the threads fill up with metal but that can sorted easier than rust in the bits you can't get a wire brush on.

Comment

I use EPD coating these days, its what the OEMs use. Outlasts most things.
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                    Is there a reason NOT to galvanize struts? The only thing i can think is maybe the threads fill up with metal but that can sorted easier than rust in the bits you can't get a wire brush on.
                    (it was my subframe I had galvanised, not struts....just to clarify) Galvanising does change the (molecular ?) properties of the metal I've been told.......I think the metal becomes more brittle so if it's under more stress then more likely to crack/break.
                    I'd be apprehensive getting the struts done, unless someone with a degree in metallurgy can say that it'd be 110% ok. !

Comment

I don't have a metallurgy degree but do know that electro plating and galvanising can affect strength of steel but it is higher strength grades of steel that are affected. Think 10.9 and 12.9 grade steels for bolts. 8.8 is fine to galvanise and plate. The acid pickle phase of the process causes 'hydrogen embrittlement' hydrogen absorbed into the surface of steel makes it brittle. Why its only high strength steels affected I don't know. ​​​​​​
                      I doubt the steel used for subframes and struts is high strength and based on the fact b3 chassis parts are galvanised makes me think it is an acceptable process that is probably not more wide spread due to manufacturing costs. As enthusiast restorers, that issue goes out of the window doesn't it?!

I might investigate galvanising struts but would paint afterwards to prevent the visible oxide layer building up into the dusty surface you sometimes see on galv' parts.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise.
                        I have started to take the sub frame of and. some of the bolts are seized, so I have covered them in penetrating oil ,
                        Has anyone got a list of parts required for a refurb.
                        What bushes ,OE or poly . Which bolts should I replace.etc

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp
                          Thanks for all the advise.
                          I have started to take the sub frame of and. some of the bolts are seized, so I have covered them in penetrating oil ,
                          Has anyone got a list of parts required for a refurb.
                          What bushes ,OE or poly . Which bolts should I replace.etc
                          I used alberts street bushes for the subframe and I got all the nuts and bolts from Audi I also did the engine mounts and gearbox mounts with new bolts etc they set me back about £80

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                          THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Sub frame is of now , but it’s in bad shape .
                            I will post some pics tomorrow. Not sure if it’s repairable.
                            Is the rear sub frame unique to the s2 coupe, or can I use the sub frame of any other Audi model and weld the
                            Anti role bar brackets on.

Comment

Goodazz has one on here for sale. Looks good, but it's in Lithuania so postage will be considerable. Depends what deal he will do for you.
                              I have received quite a few parts from Latvia, no problem at all and quick postage.
                              Last edited by Tractor Dave; 9 March 2018, 17:29.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                                Sub frame is of now , but it’s in bad shape .
                                I will post some pics tomorrow. Not sure if it’s repairable.
                                Is the rear sub frame unique to the s2 coupe, or can I use the sub frame of any other Audi model and weld the
                                Anti role bar brackets on.
                                B2 fits but has no roll bar mounts, B3 20v is same , B3 10v has no ARB

Comment

Working...
                                X