URS6 Spring + Damper Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URS6 Spring + Damper Recommendations

My URS6 saloon has the 1BE sports suspension.

The rear dampers are shot to **** and the front sits a little higher than I'd like it to.

I live in New Zealand and finding the car in the first place was a mission, now finding parts for it (despite working in Australia and New Zealands biggest car parts chain) is a mission so I need to get this right first time!

Can anyone recommend a spring and damper package to suit the car? I understand the sports suspension is lower than usual anyway but perhaps an extra 40mm lower up front and 20mm at the back would be ideal...

Can NOT be coilovers for legal reasons I'm not willing to comply with, ideally sub 500 pounds, because the freight will be killer on top.

Or even just rear dampers that will 1000% be correct, I've managed to find Monroe part numbers 26337 and 26340 listed for C4's with sport suspension, anyone know the difference between those?

Tia.

You need to check out (Wrath thread) on here plenty in there on lowering springs. Can't speak for Monroes but can recommend the Bilstein B6 shocks for the 1BE and 1BA set ups which can tolerate minor lowering. For a 40mm drop you may need to go to the B8 which is the same as the B6 except that it designed with a shorter travel to suite lowering springs with the drop your suggesting.

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Ok thanks, can you (or anyone else) confirm 101% that

https://m.ebay.de/itm/2x-Bilstein-B6...EAAOSwMGha3kCs

Those will (or won't) fit a '96 (later one without diff lock) S6 with factory sport 1BE suspension? I really can't afford to get it wrong as sending them back will cost the earth!

Comment

Originally posted by Jolfa View Post
        Ok thanks, can you (or anyone else) confirm 101% that

https://m.ebay.de/itm/2x-Bilstein-B6...EAAOSwMGha3kCs

Those will (or won't) fit a '96 (later one without diff lock) S6 with factory sport 1BE suspension? I really can't afford to get it wrong as sending them back will cost the earth!
        Unless there's something wrong with the car or those shocks in the link (very doubtful) then they will fit. Never heard of anyone fitting these having a problem, in short failing a cook up in what they send you they will fit and are correct for 1BE suspension.
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

What's with nearly every suspension kit available saying that they WON'T fit models with sports suspension/M12 threads?

Comment

Are you refferring to the rear lower shock bolts?
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I don't know, just nearly every set of C4 suspension I've looked at specifically says does not fit models with sports suspension [and/or] 12mm bolt/nut

Comment

I think that's what they are referring to. There's 2 different rear lower shock bolts. You need to work out which you have got before you can make an order. From memory it's either 10mm or 12mm. But 7 zap should make that clear.
                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

The thread size refers to the top mount, will be either M10 (standard - 1BA) or M12 (sports - 1BE)
                  These will fit, I have them on mine
                  Attached Files
                  1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
                  2002 ASZ Golf (Doris' Daily)
                  1997 AJK-G2 A6 Avant Q (In surgery)
                  1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)
                  1994 ABC A6 Avant (Spare)
                  1984 JS Coupe GT (Slow progress)
                  1982 WN Coupe GT5 (Spare)
                  1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)

Comment

From the Bilstein catalogue
                    Attached Files
                    1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)

Comment

So surely if that's the difference, would you not just be able to get the appropriate sized top nut to suit? Seems a bit odd to say M10 struts won't fit an M12 car if it's just one nut that's different?!

Are the struts physically the same between 1BA/E? Aside from length/travel/firmness whatever, I mean you could physically bolt either to either if the handling properties weren't a concern?

Comment

Also (from Google translate)

"On Quattro models, the adapter plates must be used on the upper rear mount of the 2-WD !!"

I've seen that a few times too, what adaptor plate would that be?

Comment

I'm not sure why @Recurvandy was referring to a top mount on rear suspension? the 3 body mounted studs all use the same size nut to attach to the body at the top. When i asked Bilstein for this they only referred to the lower bolt to hub attachment. 1BA is M10 whereas 1BE is M12. All you have to do is measure what bolt you have and order that size in the B6 damper your after.
                          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Forget about the lower mounting bolts, these are same regardless

The thread size is that of the shock absorber piston
                            The individual set-ups mount to the car in the same way but it is the mounting parts themselves that are different.
                            Look at the ETKA diagram, standard suspension on left, sports at centre and self levelling to right. The top hardware is different and this is what the size refers to (item 25/26 specifically)

Sports dampers will not physically fit up through the mounting parts of standard suspension, and vice-versa
                            1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)

Comment

Originally posted by recurveandy View Post
                              Look at the ETKA diagram, standard suspension on left, sports at centre and self levelling to right. The top hardware is different and this is what the size refers to (item 25/26 specifically)

Sports dampers will not physically fit up through the mounting parts of standard suspension, and vice-versa
                              This is irrelevant since we already know he has the 1BE sports set up see 1st post.
                              So the B6 damper piston will fit through his top mount therefore no problem at all.
                              Bilstein still ask what size lower bolt you have probably as a belt and braces approach.
                              Anyway the Bilstein B6 fits the 1BE suspension perfectly.
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X