Suspension too stiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only other ideas I might offer are:

a) If your brakes and local regulations (is there a British version of the German TUV?) allow, I read listings for higher aspect ratio (taller sidewall) tires (215/60R 15 93V and 195/65R 15 91V caught my eye) here:

http://www.tpressure.com/model/audi/...sedan_4wd.html

It would be relatively easy (compared to perhaps almost anything else) to borrow 15" wheels, V-rated tires of sufficient load rating and just try them at about your 2.2 bar pressure; to determine if any further moves in that direction would also move the needle towards more comfortable (these sizes of tires are also usually much cheaper than the "shorter" ones).

b) One of the few proper uses of polyurethane (IMHO) is for things exactly like sub-frame bushes as there is no rotation taking place, something poly doesn't do real well. In this case it is just a static NVH filter. I have no experience here but have heard B2/3/4 OEM sub-frame bushes are difficult to install (yours may be also?), and that polys are not. Are such offered for your chassis? If yes can you find someone who has them/a thread about or a review of same. Another advantage I'd expect poly to have over OEMs in this location is oil resistance and hence a longer service life.

c) What remains is (beyond whether B6s are for you) finding the cause for your failed mounts, a preventative fix for new ones or a more durable top-mounts, surely your not alone with this issue, but I have no knowledge of what might help here. Perhaps start a thread asking about C4 top-mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
      The only other ideas I might offer are:

a) If your brakes and local regulations (is there a British version of the German TUV?) allow, I read listings for higher aspect ratio (taller sidewall) tires (215/60R 15 93V and 195/65R 15 91V caught my eye) here:

http://www.tpressure.com/model/audi/...sedan_4wd.html

It would be relatively easy (compared to perhaps almost anything else) to borrow 15" wheels, V-rated tires of sufficient load rating and just try them at about your 2.2 bar pressure; to determine if any further moves in that direction would also move the needle towards more comfortable (these sizes of tires are also usually much cheaper than the "shorter" ones).

b) One of the few proper uses of polyurethane (IMHO) is for things exactly like sub-frame bushes as there is no rotation taking place, something poly doesn't do real well. In this case it is just a static NVH filter. I have no experience here but have heard B2/3/4 OEM sub-frame bushes are difficult to install (yours may be also?), and that polys are not. Are such offered for your chassis? If yes can you find someone who has them/a thread about or a review of same. Another advantage I'd expect poly to have over OEMs in this location is oil resistance and hence a longer service life.

c) What remains is (beyond whether B6s are for you) finding the cause for your failed mounts, a preventative fix for new ones or a more durable top-mounts, surely your not alone with this issue, but I have no knowledge of what might help here. Perhaps start a thread asking about C4 top-mounts?

Can't really fit 15" over S4 HP2s so that's not an option.

Subframe rear mounts are just that, mounts (items 14 and 15) and front bushes (item 12) press in so shouldn't be an issue really.

There isn't really any upgrades aside from solid mounts and that I really don't want even if it means changing them twice a year.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
      '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Reinstating rubber bushes in the subframe is bound to make a difference, thats the only thing i can think that is so different from any S6 i've driven.

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
        96 URS6 plus speck estate
        94 2.6 80 Avant
        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
          Reinstating rubber bushes in the subframe is bound to make a difference, thats the only thing i can think that is so different from any S6 i've driven.
          I'll give it a shot, it's not too expensive. Oddly enough I didn't notice much difference going from rubber to solid aluminium.
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Lees car drives really comfortably with 1BA and Bilstein B6 allround with the 17" plus specs. The fronts were totally fooked when he bought it non existent along with rear brakes that were absent without leave. So he had a brand new pair of front B6 put on and his car, was really very comfortable on that set up.
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Just to add my urs4 with solid subframe mounts, fancy top mounts etc and bilstein b6 is actually too soft. So not sure what's wrong with yours. My 2003 Skoda on long springs and b6 bilstein is harder...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                Just to add my urs4 with solid subframe mounts, fancy top mounts etc and bilstein b6 is actually too soft. So not sure what's wrong with yours. My 2003 Skoda on long springs and b6 bilstein is harder...

Wish I knew. What springs you're running?
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I have ran various springs over the years. None much different than another. I think it's spax springs in there now.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                    I have ran various springs over the years. None much different than another. I think it's spax springs in there now.

Mine is 1BE sport ones. I'm not a suspension expert but maybe this spring/shock absorber combo is too stiff, so it gets passed through to top mounts that gets destroyed.

Hopefully OEM style subframe mounts will reduce vibration/noise coming through to the cabin.

this wouldn't bother me but being a daily driver and roads getting worse by day I want some comfort back.
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Are you on poly bushes on the control arms/ wishbones? Are they properly lubed?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        Are you on poly bushes on the control arms/ wishbones? Are they properly lubed?
                        All stock Lemforder. Only polybushes i have is ARB.
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Fitted Corteco subframe mounts and there is definately less noise coming through the car. Still picks up more than I'd like but I guess it's the case of whether I want handling or comfort.
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Good!

There's no need to go Alloy subframe mounts on our roads as these cars with stock 1BE suspension in good condition is considerably firmer than even the S2 so the S6 is already a great drive. Both my S6 cars came with average tyres, the Estate was horrible on Nankang back in 2013. Putting premium tyres on with an a small eye for sidewall comfort rather than going for all out handling made a massive difference to the ride and comfort for me.

I'd be interested to know what tyres and size your running?
                            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                              Good!

There's no need to go Alloy subframe mounts on our roads as these cars with stock 1BE suspension in good condition is considerably firmer than even the S2 so the S6 is already a great drive. Both my S6 cars came with average tyres, the Estate was horrible on Nankang back in 2013. Putting premium tyres on with an a small eye for sidewall comfort rather than going for all out handling made a massive difference to the ride and comfort for me.

I'd be interested to know what tyres and size your running?
                              225/55/16 Dunlop Sport Maxx
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

At what pressure? 6 bar, lol? Sorry about your ride quality issues, mine is terrible but it’s too low on coliovers with higher rate springs and matched dampers. If I’m not feeling like riding a horse I drive another car

Comment

Working...
                                X