What ball joint nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ball joint nuts?

What do you guys use for bottom ball joint nuts since the OEM collar nuts are NLA? I have tried nordlock washers with nyloc nuts but they came loose the second time now. I have the small washers now so maybe I'll try buying bigger ones and using some non OEM nuts with collar. Only thing that worries me is the corrosion resistance with non OEM stuff. Please share your experience

The manual advised the change to the lock nuts with flange and to not use the washer any more. If you use the washer, you don't require a flanged ribbed nut so any M10x1.5 locking nut will do the job. A new balljoint should come with replacements anyway. The later A4,A8 cars had lots of these locknuts with the flange on their suspension setups so these could be used as an alternative. Just make sure you tighten them when the car is on the ground, otherwise they can and will work loose
    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

I can supply grade 10 flanged all-metal lock nuts (DIN) with the same coating as OEM - if there is interest - minimum order is 250 units, so around 40 sets.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The ball joint nuts from a MK1 S3/A3 are nearly identical to the later OE S2 type with a flange, their simply 16 mm head as opposed to 17 mm and their cheap from the dealer, that's what I've used in the past when replacing them. Get the mating face's on the wishbone spotless before fitting them, torque them up correctly and they won't come loose.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys I guess I'll have to stop by the local dealer tomorrow and buy a set of mk1 a3 nuts.

Error404 Thanks for the offer, but I think I will try the A3 nuts first

Comment

No problem
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

They are still available from Audi. Part number is N90285602.

Greg W.
              They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

That part number is no longer available from Audi. There may be some left in US, but that's a different system on it's own. Or the US parts catalog hasn't been updated recently.

Comment

https://www.vwheritage.com/classic/?ClassicLookup=NUT
                  Brand New Genuine VW Hexagon Collar Nut Self-Locking - N 90285602. | eBay!
                  They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

To update this thread, here are some part numbers for M10, self locking flanged nuts: N10332002, N02300411, N10286110

Comment

Working...
                    X