Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front track rod length settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Front track rod length settings

    Need a bit of help here as I’m not sure how to proceed.
    I took the track rods off the Avant today to free them up and fit the adjusters I got a while back from Greg.
    I measured the gap between the nuts and I’ve rebuilt them the same as they came off but I’m wondering if this is correct or they should be more even.
    The measurements were 23mm and 39mm with the straight one having the bigger gap.
    Is this correct?
    Or should I just set the steering wheel in the middle of its travel and adjust them to suit?
    See below



    S2 Coupe 3B Project


    Ur quattro restoration

    S2 Avant

    Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

  • #2
    I did this a little while back. Didn't take out the whole tie rod, but just this the ends. I measured like you did. Sorry, don't remember the measurements. But as long as your car was steering correctly and handling ok, before, then go with the measurements you took. Then have an alignment.
    Tip, take a flared wrench to the alignment shop and tell them not to touch the adjusters with vise grips.

    Greg W.
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

    Comment


    • #3
      I did similar to you and measured before the distance between tie rod and arm and fitted in the same manner with the new ones. If one side is longer than the other my hunch would be due to the steering being slightly off being fully centred.
      Greg

      S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

      '93 Coupe with a few tweeks

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Greg_S
        I did similar to you and measured before the distance between tie rod and arm and fitted in the same manner with the new ones. If one side is longer than the other my hunch would be due to the steering being slightly off being fully centred.
        That’s what I’m thinking, I’ll check the wheel is set straight when the rack is in the middle of it’s travel and work from there.

        S2 Coupe 3B Project


        Ur quattro restoration

        S2 Avant

        Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Counted the turns lock to lock and marked the middle with yellow tape.
          The wheel is now turned a few degrees to the left but when I took the key out the steering lock dropped in so I guess the steering wheel must have been put on wonky. It’s a later type airbag wheel.
          Just have to work out how to remove and reset an airbag wheel now!

          S2 Coupe 3B Project


          Ur quattro restoration

          S2 Avant

          Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by newsh View Post
            Counted the turns lock to lock and marked the middle with yellow tape.
            The wheel is now turned a few degrees to the left but when I took the key out the steering lock dropped in so I guess the steering wheel must have been put on wonky. It’s a later type airbag wheel.
            Just have to work out how to remove and reset an airbag wheel now!
            Doesn’t sound like much fun. I’m sure it will be well documented on rosstech wiki
            Greg

            S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

            '93 Coupe with a few tweeks

            Comment


            • #7
              I recall there is actually a factory tool for setting the rack in the centre of its stroke.
              A while ago I did as you did John & set he wheel in the right position, then set the rods broadly correct, then set the geo up.
              You'll never keep the adjusters the same length of course. The most important thing is to ensure that the hex is in the centre and the threads have plenty of engagement

              If you don't want to disturb the airbag wheel, you could always clock the steering column around at the rack end. You can fit one of my solid couplings at the same time

              solid-steering-coupling.png

              Alex
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Error404 View Post

                You can fit one of my solid couplings at the same time

                solid-steering-coupling.png

                Alex
                Alex... you motherhubbard... how much is one of those...?
                Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

                Comment


                • #9
                  £22 plus shipping
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X