Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you get a choice of colour?

Comment

Yes chose yellow to match the suspension and brakes but looking at the state of it can see why black is common, although yellow shows up any problems real fast

Comment

Rikko kitto - my subframes had been blasted and powder coated a few years back. I painted mine with epoxy paint afterwards. It's nowhere near as bad as yours but rust is coming back. Bad prep contributes to what you have but powder coat is also quite hard and can chip and lift especially if it is not stuck down as well as it could be.

This is why I am going for galvanising - it's an immersive process that gets inside parts like subframe.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I used ZG-90 on the rear subframe after blasting when I got mine back on the road... 5 years ago. I will have to take a look and maybe snap a pic.

Appreciate it won't get in the inside, but last time I looked it seemed in pretty good shape.

https://www.actioncan.com/product/zg-90/

Comment

Browsing that site, this looked interesting...

https://www.actioncan.com/product/mz-90/

Weld through and a WAAAAY cheaper than the U-POL equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by YELL MAN View Post
              What do folk think of POR15? I was going to shot blast my subframes and treat them with that along with struts wishbones etc.
              I've used por 15 on my mates T25 camper,I think as with anything like that prep is the key.
              Its like a hard enamel when it's dry,and if you get any on your skin it's very difficult to get off!
              Overall it seems pretty good,but it ain't cheap.
              It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

I previously powder coated the subframes but wouldn't do it again, like Steve mentioned it gets chipped and rust sets in underneath.

I also did a set of alloys and a few years later the finish had gone a crazed/cracked way that looked terrible.
                1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
                1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

Here is my rear sub frame dipped and powder coated, not too sure if I would powder coat them again slightest knock and they can chip
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Johnboy they look very nice, thats how i want to see mine, i shall also being doing all other ancilliary systems the same as yours

Comment

Here are some pictures of front sub frame

Sorry computer will not let me upload up multiple pictures
                      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Johnboy thanks for the pictures of the front end too, i see that you used new Powerflex purple bushes, did you use them all round the car and if so what is the ride like, do you feel that its made much difference to stock bushes?

Comment

Front Sub frame pictures

Rusty

Not too sure about the ride my car is not quiet ready yet look at (Audi RS2 How many are left) that's where I'm up to.

I need to get a riggle on really I've not touched it since Christmas not had time.

John
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Am after a bit more advice please, what size are the bushes for the front and rear subframes for the RS2, am i right in thinking that there are a pair (either front or rear) that have 10mm bolt holes and the reast are 12mm. Im about to order them and dont want to be re-ordering if i buy the wrong ones, help please.

Comment

Ok so just to bring this thread back up to date, i decided to farm the car/work to be done out to a great guy called Nick ( he will possibly make himself known once i start to put some pictures up). Anyway, to start, I bought the car at the back end of 2015, its a Raggusa green RS2, its got 110k miles on it, drives extemely well and looks the business......from the top. Looking underneath its look a bag of ***** to be honest. Its a 24 year old car and looks like the underneath is 24 years old too, nothing like the top side. Talk about previous owners just polishing the top and ignoring the bottom.

So I just want to show you a couple of shots of how it was before work started

PH.jpg

A shot of the engine bay too which is also pretty clean

DSC_9459.JPG

So the car was delivered to Nick around the begining of May and we agreed that he could have the car for three months to complete as i was going to be away working for a while anyway, so that would help his schedule fitting it in with his other work and i was in no rush to have it back.

After couple of weeks i started to get a few pictures through from Nick showing the state of the car underneath, the suspension, struts, subframes, wishbones etc were in a shocking state, a lot worse that i had thought. I knew there was some rust under there but not that bad. First parts off were brake calipers, brake discs and hubs.

Caliper Front 1.jpgCaliper Front 2.jpgRear Caliper 1.jpgRear Caliper and Disc 1.jpgCaliper Front 3.jpg
                              Calipers off next

Cali[pers 1.jpg

These were sent away for refurb and had a fairly quick turn around on them, full rebuild with new pistons, seals, paint and Porsche script.

Handbrake 3.jpgHub 3.jpgHandbrake 1.jpgHub 5.jpg

Thats part one, i will upload part 2 later

Comment

Part 2

Front Strut 1.jpgHub + ABS Sensor 1.jpgHub 2.jpgRear Spring.jpg

As you can see its in a bit of a state and im really hoping its going to turn out good

Wishbones coming off and look really unwell

Front Wishbone 3.jpgFront Wishbone 2.jpgRight Rear 1.jpgLeft Rear 1.jpg

More kit being dimantled, front upright and front wishbones diconnected

Rear Wishbone Conn 1.jpgRear Wishbone Conn 2.jpgUpright Front 1.jpg

Part 3 to follow

Last edited by rustybullethole; 26 July 2019, 15:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X