Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-Bolt Ball-Joint Versions and related info... a more definitive guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dustin,

I like that you marked each arm L and R to keep where they were going to now go, straight in your head!

Please post a profile photo of your UrQ showing a rear wheel's fore/aft position in the fender-arch opening using the above parts, IIRC this worked out very well.
    Last edited by Lago Blue; 22 February 2021, 18:48.

Comment

Having a problem getting the right part for my 93' s2 Avant with cast/forged wishbones,
      Failing MOT, need a new left-side Ball-joint.
      ETKA states part# (Left side) to be 895407365A, and the part# is confirmed from the part# from the car, but my local dealer hasn't this
      Now I've found "Corteco 49401196" that claims to be "895407365A compatible", anyone able to confirm this ?

Comment

Hi sir pfi,

I cannot, however perhaps the vendor can send you photos and you can then judge for yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by pfi View Post
          Now I've found "Corteco 49401196" that claims to be "895407365A compatible", anyone able to confirm this ?
          Seems like a correct part. It must be new old stock, because corteco has stopped making them some time ago. Most of them are, locally i can find only delphi and some ruville parts, which also is probably new old stock.
          Autodoc shows only 2 pieces left.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

My local dealer came up with this (TRS BJ117) as a replacement :
            TRS-BJ117.jpg

looked promising, but when I got it, it's not the same caster offset as 895407365A
            sbs-caster-diff.jpg
            The box it came in was labeled 8A0 407 365 and I don't understand that it's correct ?
            Isn't 8A0407365 a replacement for 895407365 ?, and, if so, shouldn't it have caster +2.15° ??

anyway, now I've ordered "Corteco 49401196" (Thnx to M2ki)

I'll post result when getting it
            Attached Files

Comment

Watching with interest as I have ended up with two different ball joints on my car which makes getting it tracked interesting to say the least

Comment

Rikki Kitto

If the difference is different caster then You've got a "problem"
                If it's only the height it's propably ok ... (as long as You have clearance between wishbone and shaft)

What whishbones do You have, pressed plate or cast/forged ?
                different ball-joints ...
                Last edited by pfi; 2 June 2022, 19:05.

Comment

Is this just S2s or are all coupes affected?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                    Is this just S2s or are all coupes affected?
                    dunno,
                    My first impression was that all B3 (not ACOQ) had 1.15° caster, then all B4 (incl ACOQ) was upgraded to 2.15° caster,
                    but now, after having a look at the "TRS BJ117" I'm not sure anymore ... :/
                    also,
                    what wishbone You've got also "counts-in", pressed-plate or cast/forged

the "problem" for me, is for the cast/forged wishbone for my 93' s2 Avant, my 91 s2 ACOQ with "pressed-plate" wb's, no problem
                    Last edited by pfi; 2 June 2022, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by pfi View Post
                      Rikki Kitto

If the difference is different caster then You've got a "problem"
                      If it's only the height it's propably ok ... (as long as You have clearance between wishbone and shaft)

What whishbones do You have, pressed plate or cast/forged ?
                      different ball-joints ...
                      Cast forged and I think I have one ball joint correct a d one for pressed type wishbones

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post

Cast forged and I think I have one ball joint correct a d one for pressed type wishbones
                        afaik if they're both the same caster it shouln't matter beside a possible clearance problem between wishbone and driveshaft, if different caster, You've got a "problem" ...

I've ordered a "Corteco 49401196" and will update info here when I get it ...

Comment

My problem is one of my front wheels sits slightly further out than the other

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                            My problem is one of my front wheels sits slightly further out than the other
                            "further out" shouldn't relate to ball joint ?
                            AFAIK ball joints only affect caster and clearance between whishbone amd driveshaft.
                            or, have I missed smthng ??

Comment

Well, you can adjust the 'outness' of the wheel, as the bottom ballpoint is adjustable to set camber.

It has quite an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                                Well, you can adjust the 'outness' of the wheel, as the bottom ballpoint is adjustable to set camber.

It has quite an effect.
                                Yep, but that doesn't relate to the any specific ball-joint, all camber adjustments is "same procedure" regardless of whisbone-"type" and ball-joint ...

as "stated" earlier, ball joint caster is the most important to keep equal on each side.(more is better)
                                second up is clearance between wishbone and driveshaft. .. capiche ?

I'm using a simple and cheap tool, avalable on eBay and Aliexpress, to keep my camber setup (equal) aligned :
                                canber-tool.jpg
                                Last edited by pfi; 3 June 2022, 21:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X