Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-Bolt Ball-Joint Versions and related info... a more definitive guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test-mounted an old guide joint from a 91' ACOQ.
    it's clearance, but not much, except for at the "bulge" on the arm shown on the image, guess it won't take long before it'll be a hole in the CV-boot.

bulge-02.jpg

Of course the best would be to get the proper guide joints but it seems to be difficult ...
    Anyone knows if the "bulge" have any mission ?
    I'm tempted to grind it off, It shouldn't weaken the arm in any way.

Comment

@ Rikki Kitto,

Could your issue be in part that the considerable available slack in the joint (when both bolts are loosened) where the strut fastens to the hub-carrier (two large horizontal bolts, #12 in illus, below) is not currently equally positioned on the L and RH struts (and the b-joints are having to be displaced in opposition to compensate)? I set both of mine to 'loose joint pressed fully inboard' prior to tightening, to then always have a easily repeatable go-to position for after any future dis-assemblies (of said joint); to restore alignment.

@ pfi,

Don't know but suspect you are correct about the circled bulge re: arm integrity. Some cars had brake cooling ducts, could it have anything to do with attaching those?

Audi B4 Fr Susp parts illus. Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 11.14.28.png

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
        @ Rikki Kitto,

Could your issue be in part that the considerable available slack in the joint (when both bolts are loosened) where the strut fastens to the hub-carrier (two large horizontal bolts, #12 in illus, below) is not currently equally positioned on the L and RH struts (and the b-joints are having to be displaced in opposition to compensate)? I set both of mine to 'loose joint pressed fully inboard' prior to tightening, to then always have a easily repeatable go-to position for after any future dis-assemblies (of said joint); to restore alignment.
        Or, if having "old" hub-carrier(s) with 12mm bolts and "new" strut-leg(s) with 14mm hole(s) and no spacer to compensate for the difference

Comment

Working...
        X