RS2 standard ride height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 standard ride height

I have recently strip down and rebuilt the suspension, bushes, springs and replaced the shocks with Blisteins standard replacements for the RS2. All the metal work was shot blasted and resprayed. On completion of the reassembly I noticed the car was sitting 25mm higher all around than before does the suspension need to settle or what is the original height from the top of the tyre to the underside of the wheel arch. It has the original size cup 1 wheels and tyres can anyone throw some light on this. Look at the photo
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I'm afraid I can't tell you what the stock height would be. I'd suggest you find some factory brochure photos to see if that helps. Further thoughts:
    - What colour are the current Bilsteins?
    - Although new top-mounts will (un-aided) at least briefly be taller, that wouldn't explain the rear suspension's added height, so:
    - When the (OEM?) control-arm bushes (4 in front, 10 in rear), core-bolts were tightened, was the full car weight already down on all the wheels (the factory reco)?

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...041#post973041

Comment

Just took mine out of my garage to take a couple if pictures, it had a full suspension/brake/subframe/poly bush refurb 3 months ago and this is all original. It has not moved or settled since it was done. On the rear I can get one finger in between top of tyre and the arch, I tried 2 fingers but wouldnt fit so I would say 1.5 fingers. On the front I could get 3 fingers in. Probably because more weight/bounce/travel required.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

On the rear I ordered the Bilstein B6 sport damper which is the correct replacement after much research for the original Boge dampers

Comment

Dampers would have no effect on the ride height, are the springs correct?

Comment

Originally posted by rustybullethole View Post
            Dampers would have no effect on the ride height, are the springs correct?
            On the rear of the Avant the spring sits on a perch on the damper body, if the perch is further from the bottom eye than on the standard shock the car will sit higher.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Can this affect the height by more 40mm

Comment

Have you got the old shock? You could just measure the difference.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Was the weight of the car on the wheels when you tightened all the bolts?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

yes I think I have been sold the incorrect shocks

Comment

Have you still got your old shocks? If so measure the lower spring "landing" on them and measure on your new ones. If they're different you know you have the wrong 'uns fitted. You can get your old shocks refurbished and re-use them.

Comment

I also have a set of B6 Bilsteins on the back of my 93 90Q which shares the same basic rear suspension configuration as the RS2. Please excuse me if I seem to be writing below your level of knowledge, I don't mean to.

As Newsh mentioned above, the new rear B6 dampers (particularly the measurement method he mentions) may effect ride height when compared with your original Boge's; here's how:

Rear:
                        There have been several near identical editions of this yellow rear B6 damper (ostensibly for use on various models including A4's, I've also read that the B6 and B8 versions of this damper are identical) which all have an alloy lower spring perch sitting on a snap-ring, which has been fitted into a groove cut into the yellow damper body.

Can you confirm the above describes your rear dampers?

Using this feature, I and many others have adjusted the rear ride-height.

Properly seated (fully down on the snap-ring), the spring perch obscures the snap-ring from immediate detection.

Older editions had but a single groove for the snap ring, later versions 2, 3, 4 or 5. Those more numerously grooved editions may more easily be detected as adjustable for height, even though the alloy lower perch is the give-away that it can be adjusted, it just may be more work on some editions.

Bilstein or your trusted machinist can cut additional identical grooves as required.

Once in use, over time, corrosion can make future movement of the lower perch, required for ride-height adjustment, difficult to near impossible.

Front:
                        Perhaps you also installed B6 inserts in the front? If yes, did you cycle them fully through their travel several times before installing them into the struts (Bilstein's reco)? A factory sticker saying to do so used to be adhered to older editions of these dampers when they were new.

In either case the suspension will not likely fully settle until the car is moved, but it may not be wise to move it if the bushes have been mis-tightened (tightened too early in the procedure i.e.: before the car was fully back on the ground). As you have said your car is higher front and rear, which may mean your issue may be exactly when were the bushing cores effectively tightened (via their through-bolts). If any of them where tightened without the full weight on the wheels, they will be damaged (briefly, over-twisted internally, lowering their service-life) by lowering the car, compressing the suspension, moving the car, or of course driving the car.

In addition, some of what you see may be due to simple tire friction. On that clean hoist / lift pictured, could the tires have been restrained from fully sliding outboard as the suspension compressed when the car was set down on its wheels (can you confirm)? If the bushings were installed with full weight on wheels, then there's no harm in moving the car to try to get it to further settle.

How much gas is in the tank? When installing new bushes, before I tighten them, I fill mine as I won't be sitting in the car, but I do want the new bushes to be totally relaxed (i.e.: not being twisted) when the car is at rest on its wheels after having been moved to ensure full settling has taken place.

Perhaps all of the above are having some effect?

Comment

The type of damper
                          rear is B6 Sport damper 24-062121 with the alloy spring locator attached to the shaft
                          Front B8 sprint damper 34-030868

I have driven the vehicle after installation for 50 miles and it has not settled handling there's no issues but the car now looks like a Land Rover 4x4 after the upgrade.

Why should I be re adapting (and spending more money and time removing the dampers then finding a machinist) a set of dampers that as advertised and confirmed by the supplier is a direct swap for the original Boge. Theres no height adjustment as you can see by the photo.

I did everything it mentioned with the manual that came with the dampers. No tyre friction.

Thank you for your advice but I am a retired mechanic I have checked everything and its not my workmanship.

Please look at the photos maybe I did miss something.
                          Attached Files

Comment

In your other thread I suggested checking if your top mounts were upside down. Have you physically verified this to rule it out? The fact you have increased ride height front and back points to something other than it being just the rear dampers. Whether or not they are right won't affect the front and the front damper has no spring platform the affect ride height...

If everything is right, bushes torqued up under weight of the car etc then go for a drive and see what happens.

Comment

I have installed a few dampers to my Audi UR, Porsche 993 c4s, c2, and yes I agree if there is a 5mm even 10mm discrepency yes put down to settlement. But 40 to 50mm even if I put it in incorrectly I would know I had a colleague look at it and it installed as per instruction, Bolt at the top bolt at the bottom lines up correctly. It is the shaft of the rear shock where the coil spring locates it self on the shaft of the damper that is not correct. The ride height is physically incorrect due to the design of the shock absorber. A full tank of fuel will not probably give me 2 to 5mm ride height difference but this is 40 to 50mm to high that tells me the shaft is too long on the damper or the perch is set for another specification which is not RS2.

Comment

Working...
                              X