Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding ARB mounting points to rear subframe without arb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding ARB mounting points to rear subframe without arb?

I bought and received a rear subframe that was meant to suit my s2, but the seller sent one without arb mounting points

Has anyone modded a rear subframe by adding ARB mounts to it? Would like to see pics of one done to have a go at it myself to make the purchase worthwhile.

So far after a quick check, the inner rear tire rods don't seem to fit into the brackets on the frame by about .5mm, and looks like the tie rods would have to be adjusted slightly shorter. These seem like a fairly easy fix, hopefully everything else should line up ok.
    ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Originally posted by Pat D View Post
    ….. looks like the tie rods would have to be adjusted slightly shorter. These seem like a fairly easy fix, hopefully everything else should line up ok.
    Sounds like it could be a B2 subframe??

Comment

Probably B3 quattro subframe made before 09/1989. Diff side part of the tie rod is different length, outer part is the same. Too much difference for adjusting.
      Bracket size is the same, dented or rusty if it does not fit.

Can't find bigger picture, but seems like someone used arb mount from front and somehow mounted them to the rear.

Last edited by M2ki; 12 January 2020, 15:16.
      1989 Audi 80 Quattro
      1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

2nd M2ki's remark re too much. This 2 Bennett kit shows another approach to the support brackets that could be taken.

Rear ARB kit.png

Comment

600 bucks. Daaaamn. Thats stupid expensive.
          1989 Audi 80 Quattro
          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post
            Probably B3 quattro subframe made before 09/1989. Diff side part of the tie rod is different length, outer part is the same. Too much difference for adjusting.
            Bracket size is the same, dented or rusty if it does not fit.

Can't find bigger picture, but seems like someone used arb mount from front and somehow mounted them to the rear.

Thats my Cq . Did an article in the VW/Audi car magazine on fitting a rear ARB back in 1997. One of the best mods I have fitted to mine. made the brackets and welded on myself and used the front roll bar from an early GT. Have the article here I can email if interested.
            1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
            2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
            2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Weld a suitable plate, and use one of these billet mounts:
              https://www.texas-speed.com/p-988-um...s-78-22mm.aspx

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post

Thats my Cq . Did an article in the VW/Audi car magazine on fitting a rear ARB back in 1997. One of the best mods I have fitted to mine. made the brackets and welded on myself and used the front roll bar from an early GT. Have the article here I can email if interested.
                That'll be great if you can send that to me, thanks
                boschup@hotmail.com

Trying to toss up modding it or spending more money on getting the correct subframe.

With the need for shorter tie rods, was thinking I could drill a new hole on the subframe mount for the inner tie rod offset further inwards away from the axle. From rough measurements, think the s2 tierod mounting points are about 15mm further in compared to the non S2 subframe.
                ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat D View Post

That'll be great if you can send that to me, thanks
                  boschup@hotmail.com

Trying to toss up modding it or spending more money on getting the correct subframe.

With the need for shorter tie rods, was thinking I could drill a new hole on the subframe mount for the inner tie rod offset further inwards away from the axle. From rough measurements, think the s2 tierod mounting points are about 15mm further in compared to the non S2 subframe.
                  I'll send it over tomorrow sometime, been working 7 days a week so time a bit tight
                  1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                  2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                  2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Working...
                  X