No announcement yet.

Rear subframe removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bilt stuff is very good but the subframe is very big and would take loads to do properly. If there is a local trailer manufacturer near you, see if they send their trailers off for hot dip galvanising. If they do, let them send it off for you. It will then be acid dipped first, then fully galvanised inside and out for a very reasonable price. My local place charged me £20! Then you can get it powder coated or paint it with whatever you like. It will last longer than the car!
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
      The bilt stuff is very good but the subframe is very big and would take loads to do properly. If there is a local trailer manufacturer near you, see if they send their trailers off for hot dip galvanising. If they do, let them send it off for you. It will then be acid dipped first, then fully galvanised inside and out for a very reasonable price. My local place charged me £20! Then you can get it powder coated or paint it with whatever you like. It will last longer than the car!
      £20?? How can you get these prices hehe.

It feels like even if I ask someone over here in Norway about something it's straight £200 just for asking the price lol
      But that's a good idea, I will check. I know there are companies specializing in acid dipping but I think its expensive..

So galvanises it the way to go
      https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

£20?!?! That's a lucky find, get everything you can unbolt sent through there before the price of zinc goes up!

Photo for motivation
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

They charge by weight. It's something like 50p a kilo.
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Seems like it would be cheaper for me to send the whole subframe to UK and back to Norway haha.
            https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

my axels are billet. an hubs from a transport t4, with some adjustments

Comment

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
                I was thinking about using this rust gel I see some youtubers use when they restore stuff or fix chassi on cars.

Bilt-Hamber
                Bilt-Hamber products, Rust-gel and this Hydrate 80 to seal/stop rust.. not sure how good of a product it is but I see it now and then in videos.

To be honest I didnt think it was that heavy hmm, I thought I was gonna struggle a bit but found out it was quite okay actually.
                But I had help when taking it out, the last part. rolling it backwards from driveshaft.
                BH is Brilliant stuff! I did my Subframes with that 10 years ago and they are sill ok (mostly summer driving but still getting wet in the UK spring / autumn) All of the Bilt Hamber products are good. I then painted With POR15 chassis black.
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                X