Audi 80 avant tdi suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 80 avant tdi suspension

Hey all, I will have to replace at least the shock absorbers on my car in the coming year. It's a 1994 80 tdi avant with 1ba code for suspension. I've read that there is a 1be sports suspension available that was a factory option. Will this fit my car (I don't know if the 1z engine is heavier, etc)? If so then does anyone happen to know the part numbers for the shocks and springs so I can see what the parts cost? If anyone has any experience of this I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Hi Sir,

For a quattro, correct? Perhaps a 4 cyl. B4q yes? (I ask as I'm not familiar w/the FWD's rear suspension). If yes, then certainly. The P/N's should all be on 7Zap (a Euro 1994 model wagon is detailed below), but the original springs and dampers may be harder to source new. I've heard that these cars can more easily still be found at the wreckers in the UK than over here, so you may be able to source the springs that way. You may also more easily find new B6 Bilsteins online, and if you go that route, you may want to know the OD of your struts to make sure the new dampers will fit.

WRT engine weight, that is interesting as, although perhaps heavier than some, even the 5 cyl. diesels may not weigh as much as the V6 cars, so the sport springs from any of those heaviest cars may provide even sportier options for lighter-engined cars.

7Zap

Bilstein into MacPherson...

Strut-Stops

Arm-Stops
    Last edited by Lago Blue; 19 December 2020, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by sjp001 View Post
      Hey all.....
      I too have the 1BA build code and I get your thinking....these old tdi's aren't the fastest things these days and holding speed through the bends is important !!
      Incidentally I just fitted front shockers(inserts) to my tdi that were originally fitted to my CQ, so interchangeability here is ok?
      Sorry I can't comment on engine weights.
      Might you just be better going for an after-market spring kit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
        Hi Sir,

For a quattro, correct? ...
        Lago, Thanks so much for going to the time and trouble! It's a FWD I'm afraid, but I am taking a look at those links you posted as they are super useful. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

I too have the 1BA build code...
          You totally got my thinking John. I'm not fussed about going down the potential minefield of aftermarket kits nor expense, but thought if the standard sports suspension fits then it might be an opportunity to upgrade slightly.

Comment

Audi 80 quattro B4 Avant V6 Sport Coil Springs Front & Rear (OEM / lowering) s2 | eBay

Comment

Wow John great work, thank you! I'll put a bid in and if I get them I'll let you know how they fare.

Comment

Those look promising! Despite the suspension differences, the set-up (at least as seen in 7Zap) to receive and mount rear springs (Q vs FWD), is perhaps similar enough. If the effective rear spring mounting footprints and particularly the vertical space (w/damper fully extended) is identical between the Q and FWD versions, they may indeed fit and provide the correct height!

Another variable which may effect spring rate, is the lever arm distance between (on your car, an imaginary line between the two) wheel center(s) and the center of where the spring base center sits. This distance is why on a B4Q IIRC, rear spring rates have to be higher than front springs despite carrying less weight. They look to be close between Q and FWD on 7Zap, but I don't really know.

Further and more encouraging, WRT your question about engine weights, below is a link which includes a couple of Eibach spring set listings; for your car and the V6s'. Between the two, you can see that the front axle load is higher by 50kg for the V6s' in that set, vs all the other engines listed for the other. That difference is likely the engine weight difference. Also note just in passing that these particular sets are rec'd (by the maker) for use with Bilstein B8s' (vs normal range B6s') as the drop is more severe (F: 30-35mm / R: 30mm) than factory sport heights.

Scroll down and you can read the (engine weight?) differences between these two Eibach sets of four springs each; in the axle capacities:

eibach-pro-kit-lowering-springs-for-audi-80-8c-b4-09-91-12-94

If you get those which John has pointed out, that you have no rear diff will help to balance out that your engine is also lighter, might work just a treat! Even though you will end up slightly elevated from 1BE, it may just be fine. I'm wondering if anyone else on here has done this, perhaps you'll hear from someone?

Despite all the above, and looking at the end date, it's doubtful have time to check all this stuff out beforehand, but for the price; they may be worth the gamble! If they didn't work or you didn't like them, you could likely sell them on easily enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
                  Those look promising...
                  Lago thanks so much for sharing so much of your wisdom that was so helpful! I do wonder if springs from a 5 cylinder s2 avant might work better as presumably the engine is lighter than the v6, but then like you say there's the rear diff to factor in...

Comment

Well guys I bought those springs. Thanks for the help Lago and John! It won't be until the spring time that I will have a play about but I will report back how I get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X