b4 avant tdi suspension help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b4 avant tdi suspension help

Hey all, My b4 1Z tdi avant needs new font shocks and the garage said the lower struts are really rusty and need replacing. I am struggling to find a pair, does anyone know of any options at all? 7zap says the part no is 8A0 412 034 and image attached of what I need. Any help would be really appreciated!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hi SJP,

These are simply the struts (they're neither upper or lower), fairly pricey new, fairly cheap if found used. AFAIK there are 4 versions beyond L&RH, either 50 or 55mm nominally at the top of main tube threads; and w/four either 12 or 14mm bolt-holes to attach to the hub-carriers. You can ID what you have with this info.

These should be easy to find used as they are common and quite stout. In fact, I have never seen one that couldn't be brought back into service immediately on dis-assembly, or certainly after blasting and paint if appearance is a concern. The lower spring perch has good drainage and is quite strong. Which begs the question, is the garage perhaps doubtful they can take them apart successfully, or have they already damaged one? What used ones do need is a good thread-chasing (which can be done with the (top of strut) cap-nuts on their removal, see at link ), and new cap-nuts of the appropriate ID for the re-assembly.

Here is a link to a thread with some strut dis & assembly tips (whether Bilsteins or not) to guide you and the garage:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-strut-install

You may want to spend your strut money on some Bilsteins instead? Or for a lot less, (you should be replacing your top-mounts in any case) if you want to preserve new top-mounts perhaps permanently, these 'Strut-Stops' (currently in use by many forum members here) may be of interest (see the long-ish ad and photos on Kijiji at the yellow link in 1st post of this thread):

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ts#post1331576

Regards,

Comment

Lago, many thanks for being so generous in providing such good information. You've helped me out several times now, thank you!

I was inclined to think like you that I'd be surprised if the struts were beyond redeption, but I guess most modern garages can't justify the time faffing around. The thing is I'm having real trouble finding some struts (thanks for the correction on my rookie terminology) and the few online breakers with them want a lot of money IMO. It's making me consider buying an aftermarket suspension kit, but the original struts have that tie rod mount thing attached to them which I guess most aftermarket options don't have.

Comment

SJP,

Using the hacksaw first then real penetrating oil method to remove the cap-nuts outlined at that link is really quite quick. If the garage can't grasp that, perhaps you can find another. If you can, find an old-fashioned sole-proprieter old-guy enthusiast Audi garage to help you, even if you have to travel. If you post your whereabouts here, someone may suggest such a garage. If you feel you must get replacements, ID yours and buy from a wrecker who doesn't advertise them online, your B4 ought to have 55mm struts w/14mm holes (checking yours is simple), which are common to all the B4s.

Are you sourcing the dampers and other parts or is the garage? Be warned, most top-mounts are not worth installing. The over-riding issues I read WRT B3/4 Audi-specific aftermarket struts is unjustify-able price, unsatisfactory ride, poor reliability, reluctance to honour warranty, expensive service, mediocre dampers and the inability to fit more widely available decently sized 1st quality warrantied replacement dampers (i.e.: yellow Bilstein B6's or 8's) inside; but they do look pretty! The other thing is after-market struts are often made to allow lowering and don't use stock sized or rate springs, (so they will not be a good match for your existing rear suspension) which is less than helpful for even a street-driven performance car, particularly an otherwise quite practical TDI (FWD?) wagon.

You will be better served to stay with best quality very near to stock components, to achieve the most satisfactory ride quality at reasonable cost. In the archives here you can find members who admit to circling back to the stock suspension, after trying the alternatives. Consider also that there are several factory spring upgrades between yours and an RS2 , all using that same strut which was good enough for that Porsche-built version.

Do you need to fix this to pass an inspection, or have you time to gather these parts in advance yourself?

Comment

Amazing help Lago, my greatest thanks! I thought all your advice was spot on. I think I'll do a combination of things you've recommended but basically I'll see if I can find another set of struts cheaply from ringing around a few breakers and I'll get those cleaned up and painted ready to go on before I tackle the job. The next inspection/mot isn't until the Autumn so I have time on my side currently. I've always thought the car handles nicely and I am definitely wanting to retain that so I appreciated your advice on aftermarket parts. I don't know if you remember, but I got some of the OEM 'sport' springs, although for a heavier engine, which I think I'll try out at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          X