S2 (ABY) subframe Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 (ABY) subframe Q

Failed MOT due to one rubber mounting in the front subframe (also other issues but far more easy to fix ...) .

Have read that the subframes are adjustable, one fixed point and three adjustable, is that correct ? or have I been mislead ?

That is correct but i can't recall which one is fixed. If you drop your subframe down to fot new bush you will be able to see which is the fixed mounting point. The others all float a little with free but captive square nuts in the chassis.

Comment

ok, thnx, but wasn't the answer I hoped for ...
      Any DIY for alignment ?

Comment

Originally posted by pfi View Post
        ok, thnx, but wasn't the answer I hoped for ...
        Any DIY for alignment ?
        I'd be for measuring a line from a front mounting point (rear subframe) to a point on the opposite front side (possibly the rear mounting point of front subframe), then adjust so the measurements from each side are the same......if that makes sense ?

I think it's one of the rear mounts that is fixed.

Comment

Just re-read your post, sorry I was thinking the rear subframe rear-most mount is fixed

Comment

My concern now is about the front subframe, but I guess the rear also have one fixed and three adjustable ?
            and, yes, may take some cross-reference measures but will it be accurate enough ?
            Mby I need a pro to get it right ?

Comment

Mby I need a pro to get it right ?

4-wheel alignment for sure, but also you'd need to be sure that the operator is competent to be moving the subframe(s) !!

........or measure and adjust yourself so you know subframes are in line and square with the body, then get alignment done?

Comment

When you remove you will see it leaves nice marks on the mounting points. Just replace covering those marks
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                  When you remove you will see it leaves nice marks on the mounting points. Just replace covering those marks
                  Good thinking Dave

....and it'll show how a standard bush has a good contact area unlike poly.

Comment

Propably not needing a 4-wheeler for now if I can get the subframe back in it's original pos.
                    I'll do a 4-whhel later when all other parts replaced.

As the original mountings is pretty hard to get in place, I'm planning to replace (all) with Powerflex (black-series)

Comment

As the original mountings is pretty hard to get in place
                      You're not wrong there!

Comment

People do manage to fit the original rubber types somehow but, when I tried; i destroyed 2 mounts and snapped an M10 bolt trying to use one and some washers to drawer the bush into the subframe.

My poly bushes press in by hand.

Lovely.

Comment

I used Superflex when I did my subframes. They’re a bit quieter than the Powerflex.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                            I used Superflex when I did my subframes. They’re a bit quieter than the Powerflex.
                            This one : https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddeta...=SF080-1797KSS ?
                            Have thought about these but have not found a dealer in Norway.
                            Powerflex has a local dealer nearby ...

How did You align the subframes ?

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                              My poly bushes press in by hand.
                              Lovely.
                              Yes lovely to fit.
                              Does anyone have concerns regarding the design (or lack of) of the poly ? The metal insert/sleeve should ideally incorporate a "penny washer" where it contacts the chassis in the same way the original bush does?
                              Cheap to produce I'm sure but not cheap to buy.....but folks keep buying!

Comment

Working...
                              X