S2 (ABY) subframe Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pfi,
    From the archive, you may have read this thread which has some sub-frame (S/F) alignment info, and some guesses:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...01#post2053401

Some believe the S/F alignment does not matter, and perhaps that's true to some extent (you can't know what the alignment rack will dictate and/or there may be enough available adjustment at the ball-joints) or they've just been lucky (their S/F positions were 'good enough'), while some think road-crown ought to be counter-acted/addressed with their fixing. Prior to removal, certainly some recorded measurements will help one re-establish the previous positions, but I don't think those measurements are necessarily going to be exactly equal (otherwise there would be no need for adjust-ability!), just as close as possible to previously.

It may be worthwhile to hire an alignment shop with satisfied B3Q customers; and also be valuable to know what S/F points are fixed and which ones to best gently tap to get the S/F to move incrementally (the one opposite the fixed mount) should the job require their movement (you could then point them out to the mechanic), it may not.

Only on the alignment rack itself (with the car suitably attached) is the mechanic going to 'see' the car's theoretical center-line (TCL), and if the net result of the two S/F positions is satisfactory. The mechanic is going to adjust the rear axle's effective thrust angle (ETA) parallel to and centered on that TCL as best as possible, then with the front axle's total toe split evenly side to side (and the rack and steering wheel centered), he will similarly bring these three together so the rear axle properly trails the front. The degree to which the tracks of the two axles closely agree with and are centered on the TCL of the car (like the other settings) is dependent on how good and how fussy he is, and how easily he can get there, so anything you can do prep wise beforehand (like dis-assemble, clean, anti-seize and re-assemble your steering links and rear links (so they are freed-up for adjustment) will be helpful.

Because the static alignment involves mere minutes of a degree in accuracy, and frangible bushings can allow a good deal of uncontrolled movement (measureable with a simple ruler), I can't help but think new top-mounts and A-arm bushes (and of course kept that way with Strut and Arm-Stops!) would be as important as S/F position, to hold that accuracy steady dynamically; while cornering and braking.

newsh,
    That's interesting sir, by quieter, perhaps you mean that you found the S/Flex's transmit less road noise than the standard purple hardness P/Flex's, correct?

John.
    Re design, you may have something there sir. The orig. Boge bush (photo in above linked thread) is not only more generous in foot-print, but also has that star-shaped spline on its mating face which no doubt helps it hold (its adjustable) position once gripped by the stretch(?)-bolts. I read that the P/flex bush kit for the B4s rear S/F has S.S. tubes with splined ends; perhaps to do similar?
    Last edited by Lago Blue; 22 August 2021, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by pfi View Post

This one : https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddeta...=SF080-1797KSS ?
      Have thought about these but have not found a dealer in Norway.
      Powerflex has a local dealer nearby ...

How did You align the subframes ?
      Good question. I've never been 100% happy with mine. Paid for a Hunter four wheel lazer alignment and we loosened the Subframe bolts to see if we could get the rear wheels a little closer to spec. Seemingly made no difference. And re torque of bolts was a scary moment as they are stretch and not meant to be 're used. So £80 later, we were no closer to spec and car doesn't seem to turn in as nicely as it did when I did alignment with string
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

To expand on Tractor Dave's suggestion in that earlier linked post of:

"When you remove you will see it leaves nice marks on the mounting points. Just replace covering those marks "

I remember accidentally discovering how much my A-arm bushings were moving forward and backwards in use, after spray-painting the A-arms (and the bush faces) white before the arm re-install; and then seeing the paint rubbed off the bush faces later after driving the car. So,,,

Before attempting S/F removal, to further delineate the precise original S/F position, I will try painting (in a contrasting colour, it looks like there's room enough to get spray-paint in there), on the chassis leg above, all around the mount's footprint on the one most moveable bush (the one opposite the fixed bush). On the front S/F that would apparently be the LH Rear mount. If that is not visible enough then the next most moveable mount would be the LH Front, and so on. If unsure I'll paint all four.

Front SF LH Rr mount would have the most ajustabiity so highlight mount footprint on chassis leg with contrasting paint before SF removal Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 13.35.25.png Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 11.47.37.png
        Last edited by Lago Blue; 22 August 2021, 16:58.

Comment

stopped by my local workshop last week and asked about subframe alignment but they could not do that, just normal 4-wheel alignment.
          Yesterday I contacted a local VAG dealer but they could not do it either, they could not even do regular 4-wheel alignment, claimed they did not have data for this car in their system ...

Lago Blue's suggestion to paint with a contrasting color is a good idea, at least as long as it is the same subframe that will be back in place, if the subframe is to be replaced with another it will not help much as no one is exactly the same.

but, what is the purpose of subframe alignment?, as I understand it, it is only to adjust the wheelbase equal on each side, all other parameters are adjusted elsewhere.
          The big question then becomes how to measure accurate wheelbase in the simplest and best way?

Comment

btw, if You want to do a 4-wheeler at home this might be useful :
            https://robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm

Comment

Just install the subframe, you don't need to adjust it.

Comment

Originally posted by kinaputt View Post
                Just install the subframe, you don't need to adjust it.
                hmm, if it don't needs adjustment, then, why is it adjustable ?

Comment

Working...
                X