steering /brakes seperation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering /brakes seperation

Just a wee query , is it possible to run the power steering via the pump without the power brakes connected.
    i was going corsa b electric steering on my 90q track car , but the space is a bit limited , and im going to try unboosted dual brake cylinders for front and rear set ups,
    so can the steering remain hydraulic , without the brakes hooked up,or is there another option for the steering that has been used ?
    basically trying to seperate the brakes and power steering..

I'm pretty sure one can use the single stage PS pump from an NG motor to operate just the power steering and I seem to remember there's also a way of converting the existing duel stage pump to single as well. Not sure how well the search function on here works now but I do recall reading threads regarding this.

I maybe wrong but I think Alex (Error404) did something along these lines on his ABY converted CQ.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

many thanks i will have a dig!

Comment

The conversion involves fitting a vacuum booster from a newer Audi. Without that your brakes will be practically non existent. However, you could maybe fit an electric vacuum?
        Alternatively, fit a brake servo from an 80 without a tandem pump. I have a complete set up here from an Audi 80 if you are interested.
        Last edited by Tractor Dave; 6 April 2022, 09:47. Reason: Add detail
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
          many thanks i will have a dig!
          Alex “Error404” car help you, this is his website

https://www.ultraperformance.co.uk/

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

That's what I recall Alex doing Dave, now I've racked my brains a bit pretty sure he used an NG pump and vacuum servo combined with a one way valve so the servo never see's positive pressure from the manifold. This should work fine, unless your planning on left foot braking, as you'll be off the throttle if your on the brakes. Perhaps it's possible to do it without a servo using twin motorsport cylinders (depending on their size) but I suspect you'd need a seriously strong right leg to operate the brakes.

I don't know if it of interest to you but I have a manual steering rack from a B2 that I was going to use on my B3 project as I was going to ditch the hydraulics altogether to save weight and make things as simple as possible.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

and i have single stage pas pump for sale if you need, which i bought of Alex (ultraperformance)

Comment

Working...
              X