Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top mounts Urquattro

Simple question.
    Does the Meyle HD top mounts for a S2 fit my Urquattro?

Or are there any better options if I don´t want solid top mounts?

Standard suspension with H&R springs and Bilstein shockabsorbers.
    Thinking of solid subframe bushings and powerflex heritage controlarm bushings.

/Jonas

Meyle quality isn't what it used to be. Lemforder are still available and probably the best aftermarket. Or Sachs is another option as they took over Boge who made the original for Audi. I'm running Boge (nla) with mount savers on my S2.
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 15 November 2022, 17:28. Reason: Additions
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Weirdly, for top mounts, Meyle HD have been great for me for top mounts, I had some last me 50K miles, I swapped them out because I was doing everything else, but actually, there was no need.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the answers about the quality of the top mounts.
        But do they fit?

If I look up the partnumber of the S2 part in an online partsshop it says it doesn´t fit my car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtend View Post
          Ok, thanks for the answers about the quality of the top mounts.
          But do they fit?

If I look up the partnumber of the S2 part in an online partsshop it says it doesn´t fit my car.
          yes, they fit.
          sigpic

Comment

OT, have you got any pics of your car? I live in Bollnäs. Saw that you live in Delsbo
            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I think I have some pictures of the car but nothing good.
              I will dig and see if i can find any.
              I think we have talked before, several years ago on this forum.

Was it not you who went to look at my car when the previous owner had it?
              It was in Hudiksvall. I bought it 2008. One with a faulty dash.

Comment

Is it gold? Bought from Sune Edén?

Comment

Yes thats the one.

Comment

Yes i went and looked and test drove it It was a nice car except for a few minor things... And we thought it was a bit expensive then at 75000kr I bought a much worse car, but everything worked for 55000 in the end.

Comment

Jonas,

Your post and the discussion so far raises a number of points I don't have time to fully address immediately so I will be brief and try to write again tomorrow.

- Amongst top tier OEM made top-mounts, fit is not the primary concern, load capacity and durability should be.

- Further, when considering top-mount choice, a particular brand alone is not specific enough, the manufacturer's P/N must also be known.

- Re Ques.:"...are there any better options if I don´t want solid top mounts?" - Answr.: Yes.

- Similarly, there is an OEM control arm bushing option that some may prefer.

Cheers.

Comment

Jonas,

Sir, to your 1st post, simple question indeed, however some answers are more complex. May I humbly suggest that amongst the questions you may want to consider answers for, are these:

a) Can one install factory style top-mounts, such that their service life is extended, perhaps indefinitely;

b) Similar to the above, can one install factory style control-arm bushings, such that their service life is also extended, perhaps indefinitely; and

c) Should one gamble on the fate of one's Bilsteins, and not do the simple factory recommended strut vent / drain-hole mod?

The exhaustive (and yes, exhausting to plough through!) answers to these can be found in these forum threads:

1. Strut-Stops:
                        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...t-strut-mounts

Start with link to ad in 1st post, and in particular, see also posts 39 and 40.

2. Arm-Stops:
                        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ension-product

Start with link to ad in 1st post, then post 9 and the rest if of interest.

3. Bilstein into Macpherson strut install:
                        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-strut-install

In particular, see post 3, then 1 and the rest if of interest.

Briefly the answers to my questions above are, yes, yes and no. Since their introduction in 2015 and '16, on this forum and others, not one top-mount or bushing equipped with Strut-Stops or Arm-Stops has been reported failed. The strut vent / drain-hole mod is a literally priceless bit of UrQ history best not forgotten by anyone here.

To your original question, despite that they will fit just fine, not many folks are happy with Meyle HDs (or any others for that matter). Meanwhile, forum members with Strut (and / or Arm) -Stops are not too unhappy.

BTW, here is a post which outlined the then (2020) more recent family history of some well-known OEM part manufacturer names, current house brands all belonging to ZF (who produced our steering racks), and a surprising new owner:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...06#post2077106

After some reading, you may have further questions, which I'd be happy to try to answer.

LB
                        Last edited by Lago Blue; 8 January 2023, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
                          Jonas,

Sir, to your 1st post, simple question indeed, however some answers are more complex. May I humbly suggest that the amongst the questions you may want to consider answers for, are these:

a) Can one install factory style top-mounts, such that their service life is extended, perhaps indefinitely;

b) Similar to the above, can one install factory style control-arm bushings, such that their service life is also extended, perhaps indefinitely; and

c) Should one gamble on the fate of one's Bilsteins, and not do the simple factory recommended strut vent / drain-hole mod?

The exhaustive (and yes, exhausting to plough through!) answers to these can be found in these forum threads:

1. Strut-Stops:
                          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...t-strut-mounts

Start with link to ad in 1st post, and in particular, see also posts 39 and 40.

2. Arm-Stops:
                          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ension-product

Start with link to ad in 1st post, then post 9 and the rest if of interest.

3. Bilstein into Macpherson strut install:
                          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-strut-install

In particular, see post 3, then 1 and the rest if of interest.

Briefly the answers to my questions above are, yes, yes and no. Since their introduction in 2016, on this forum and others, not one top-mount or bushing so equipped has been reported failed. The strut vent / drain-hole mod is a literally priceless bit of UrQ history best not forgotten by anyone here.

To your original question, despite that they will fit just fine, not many folks are happy with Meyle HDs (or any others). Meanwhile, forum members with Strut-Stops are not too unhappy.

BTW, here is a post which outlined the then (2020) history of some well-known OEM part manufacturer names, current house brands all belonging to ZF (who produced our steering racks), and a surprising new owner:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...06#post2077106

After some reading, you may have further questions, which I'd be happy to try to answer.

LB
                          Thanks for all the info.
                          Alot of information to process so it might take a while for me to go through it.
                          I suspect that I will have some questions after I´ve read through it.

Comment

Working...
                          X