Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Coupe suspension options

Greetings folks,

There are thousands of threads on the forum regarding the many suspension options, but I would like some opinions on what works well, so that we can come to an agreed set of options.

For my car, I would like to maintain most of the softness of the OEM ride and also the OEM ride height, as Cambridgeshire is infested with speed bumps. I have just replaced the wishbone bushes with OEM items and will fit Pro mounts to the front and mount savers to the rear (from Corey) which raises the car about 5mm.

So, what combination of springs and dampers will give me the most cornering performance, for the least harshness of ride? Also, what is the difference between S2 and RS2 front set ups?

Secondly, can someone list the best combinations in order, from OEM/soft through to race/hard?

Cheers n

Si
    95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
    Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
    With every option available (except a towball)

Soft too Hard - I've had nearly all of these combinations on my old S2 coupe.

OEM Springs & Shocks
    OEM Springs & Koni Shocks
    Koni Springs & Koni Shocks
    OEM Springs & RS2 Shocks ( Coupe RS2 front Only )
    H&R Spings & Koni Shocks
    OEM Springs & Bilstein Shocks
    H&R Springs & Bilstein Shocks

For you the best option would be Koni shocks & OEM springs by a miles.
    Bilstein & OEM is another good combo but hard on rough roads.

Comment

Thanks for that Jamo, just what I was looking for. Any idea how they compare, i.e. could you rate them so that we can see how similar or different each step is?

I didn't realise that the RS2 front shocks were so much harder than the S2 ones? For those who use RS2 fronts, what do they use on the rear?

It is certainly sounding from what I have read and what you say above that the Koni/OEM setup is what I should go for. Is it ths springs or dampers that have to be rated for the additional weight of the air con?

Cheers n

Si

Comment

I would not say OEM springs and Billy's are at all hard. Perfect on bumpy A -roads, everso slightly soft on fast flat smooth roads and possibly the track. IMHO

Cheers,

Steve.
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

OEM springs/Koni shocks for me. Everything else OEM (non of this """"uprated"""" balls---flame suit on :mischeif: )

Love it..

Jas..
          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

can confirm on anything other than a decent surface the billies and H&Rs can be a bit harsh, definately not great on a b road.....i think with an rs2 front anti roll bar it would be a good 'fast road' setup. I love the ride except when i am tired and all it does if fidget then i wish i was in the a6 'armchair'
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

[QUOTE=Jas11n;222341]OEM springs/Koni shocks for me. Everything else OEM (non of this """"uprated"""" balls---flame suit on :mischeif: )

[QUOTE]

LOL

Ive got koni's H&R and poly bushes and ride is harsh on B roads alot better on the track though and flatter roads.
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Just noticed this thread and wondered where to go to buy the Koni Shocks ???

One of my rear shocks has leaked all of its oil so the option of standard springs and Koni shocks looks like a good idea.

Comment

Standard springs, koni shocks and uprated arbs. Good control and ride quality with standard ride height. Stiffer springs would be nice but spped humps + lowered S2 =
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Andy I have less problems getting the S2 over speed bumps than the a6 bus we have...it usually drags the engine belly pan or just catches the nose while the s2 sails over them
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                      I would not say OEM springs and Billy's are at all hard. Perfect on bumpy A -roads, everso slightly soft on fast flat smooth roads and possibly the track. IMHO

Cheers,

Steve.
                      That is true on anything smooth, but on a bit rough they are not very forgiving.
                      Last edited by Jamo; 5 April 2007, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
                        Thanks for that Jamo, just what I was looking for. Any idea how they compare, i.e. could you rate them so that we can see how similar or different each step is?

I didn't realise that the RS2 front shocks were so much harder than the S2 ones? For those who use RS2 fronts, what do they use on the rear?

It is certainly sounding from what I have read and what you say above that the Koni/OEM setup is what I should go for. Is it ths springs or dampers that have to be rated for the additional weight of the air con?

Cheers n

Si

Search you lazy sod

It's the springs that are rated for air-con. They air-con springs sit higher than non-higher aircon but do help a bit to stop nose diving on braking.

Comment

OKie, so the next question is....

Were is the best/cheapest place to sourse Koni shocks and OEM springs?

Cheers n

Si

P.S. @ Jamo what is the point of searching when you know everything

Comment

Get you Koni shocks from Aelred you wont find a better deal.

Doubt you'd need new OEM springs unless yours are fubarred. But if so P.Diddy or Vagparts

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                              That is true on anything smooth, but on a bit rough they are not very forgiving.
                              Not in my car.

I like them anyway, but have never tried anything else....
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X