Too Low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those wheels look small

Can you not downsize the tyres to 225? (when you go for 19s)
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

No compromises Doug! I think 19's with 235/35 and a 30mm drop at minimum. We'll get them to fit!! The thought in my mind at the moment is to wait until my current tyres die and then either sell the 18s or keep them for trackdays with some super sticky low-life rubber. The only prolem with slicks is you can't predict the British weather!! I don't want to pay for a trackday and not be able to use the tyres cos its damp!!

I have a small dent in the rear arch which needs sorting before it rusts. Galvanised bodies are cool but they still rust in time if the paint has cracked like mine has by the dent. When I get it repaired I will talk to someone about pulling the arches out a little bit. Going to the size of tyre I want, the revs per mile will drop from my current 822 to 817...I had 837 originally on the 16's. Shame the Avant can't go up to 255 or 265 without serious arch mods....I have seen Carisma do some stunning work on a MK4 golf which you couldn't tell had been widened: very impressive coachworks. I am not worried about premature bearing failure on a wider track but I doubt I could afford the work.

After fitting the konis I went for a 'spirited' drive over some pretty bumby unclassified roads and the tyres didn't touch the liners once. Previously it would have been hitting almost continuously. I touched the struts afterwards and they were very hot! I don't think they would tolerate that kind of abuse for long.

Lee
      1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
      Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

There is no way I would get wider than 235 toyos on the front with it lowered.

What wheels are you thinking of?

Comment

Have you ever priced up professional arch mods Doug? It would be interesting to know how much people charge. It can be extremely subtle if you use the right people and you would never tell until you get it next to a stock car. Depends how wide you'd want to go...I have seen many tasteful examples as well as some proper dribble!

As for wheel choice, I'm keeping the specifics under my hat for now. I have a few in mind and I guarantee that no-one else will have them on an S2!! I am not staying with the 5x112....I'll be going to 5x114.3 bolt pitch instead. I will also go with anthracite rims with silver/polished lips. I'm not going with the flock with anything on the S2. I will be different at every opportunity.

Lee

Designun Limited....

Comment

I have never seen any professional arch mods that don't look like boxes or horrible arch extensions - Have you got any pics to show us?

114.3 - lots of cars have that pcd - when are we going to see these?

Comment

About 12 to 18 months. Too much other stuff to complete first. You never saw that MK4 Golf then? I'll dig out some pictures.

Designun Limited....

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                You never saw that MK4 Golf then? I'll dig out some pictures.
                Maybe it was that good I didn't notice - Which one? - There is only one Mk4 golf I have ever seen that looks good - it was a purple, with merc wheels and a R32 spoiler - on the front of a VW magazine a couple of months ago - sounds **** but looked good.

Comment

Black one. I think his name was Gary Hander or similar. The car has had a fortune spent on it and had loads of mag articles written on it. Apparently has front wheel drive and a 350bhp 20V engine installed. He even had the rear floor redone to allow him to fit a rear silencer from a TT225. His car was on the AMD stand at GTi last year with the RS4 reps which were painted black between the spokes. It was so brilliantly done you would be hard pushed to notice it was widened. Absolutely amazing work... I'll look for a photo.

Designun Limited....

Comment

I know the car you mean Lee - pics would help me see the wheel arch difference though.

Comment

Correction, Gary Handa was his name. I'm still searching for a photo of the car.

Designun Limited....

Comment

http://www.wak-tt.com/waysidemeet/DSCN3515.jpg

Only pic I can find so far...doesn't do it justice as it is amazing in the flesh.

Designun Limited....

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                          I have a few in mind and I guarantee that no-one else will have them on an S2!!
                          You're not going for some of those bling bling spinny wheel center montys are you?
                          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
                            You're not going for some of those bling bling spinny wheel center montys are you?
                            Or even worse - TSW Venoms!

ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                              You'll have absolutely no problems with your setup, even if lowered.
                              Got my new wheels on the car yesterday, no problems at all. They're 17" S4 Avus replicas with Nokian NRZi rubber. Looks good and drives well too. I'll post pics later.
                              Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

Working...
                              X