No announcement yet.

Todays task - change the wishbone bushes and balljoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its not too bad getting underneath the car as long as it isnt lowered. u can shimmy underneath and tighten them up.

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

yep -mines lowered though so i guess i will use the jack to lift the wishbone up a bit to torque up.

Well, thats providing the rain eases a bit - gonna be avery wet installation!

Cheers,

David

P.S. Cheers for the link Jari - looks ingenious!
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Or drop the wheels onto some pieces of scaff plank or some 4" building blocks.

Originally posted by s2driveruk
        yep -mines lowered though so i guess i will use the jack to lift the wishbone up a bit to torque up.

Well, thats providing the rain eases a bit - gonna be avery wet installation!

Cheers,

David

P.S. Cheers for the link Jari - looks ingenious!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Well what a difference the change has made. I refitted the wishbones in the p**sing rain and also changed the front ARB bushes and brackets that I'd bought about 8 months ago. The front end feels so much better, nice and tight and working as one unit. However, i noticed on the drivers side front wishbone bolt hole (nearest the bumper) has ovaled - which might explain why it is eating through bushes in about 20-30K miles. What the best way to fix this? Its not a big oval but just enough to allow the bolt to wriggle around 1 to 2 mm.

Cheers,

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

However, i noticed on the drivers side front wishbone bolt hole (nearest the bumper) has ovaled - which might explain why it is eating through bushes in about 20-30K miles. What the best way to fix this? Its not a big oval but just enough to allow the bolt to wriggle around 1 to 2 mm.

Cheers,

David
            David, the best cure it to remove it and weld it up and drill and ream it or drill it out and sleeve it. Can't picture the hole I'm afraid and so I'm working in the dark a little.

David

Comment

sorry wasnt totally clear, the bush sits between 2 metal flanges with a hole for the nut to fix through the subframe, then through the bush. I think welding and redrilling is the best way. I'll try a post a pic if i get a sec.

Cheers

David
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

sorry wasnt totally clear, the bush sits between 2 metal flanges with a hole for the nut to fix through the subframe, then through the bush. I think welding and redrilling is the best way. I'll try a post a pic if i get a sec.

Cheers

David
                OK Let's get this right you have an oval bush hole and you're goinng to post pictures. Have you got the right forum?

Sensibly though, if it is the subframe the unwanted movement in the bush will cause them to deteriorate as they will be having a twisting moment as well as a rotating moment. If it is the subframe which has the damaged hole a quick whizz with a Mig welder is probably the simplest. Tig would be better. Donm't forget to protect the ECU etc. when welding.

David

Comment

When welding anywhere on the S2 be sure to disconnect ALL electrical items by nature of the earth strap on the battery. The ABS controller is the most sensitive one to damage of this kind - can't recall where I read that, but I did... somewhere...
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                    When welding anywhere on the S2 be sure to disconnect ALL electrical items by nature of the earth strap on the battery. The ABS controller is the most sensitive one to damage of this kind - can't recall where I read that, but I did... somewhere...
                    IT's says that in the bently manual
                    I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Working...
                    X