Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone built their own coilover suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone built their own coilover suspension?

as topic, i consider this, to get 2way dampers and can buy universial spring so i can change the stiffness,

so anyone done this with some info maybe

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

there is a bilstein dealer in Thessaloniki in Greece who i know can do it and i plan to do a coilover set in the future with him.I have a spare set of suspension that can be modified and i plan to send him the set to match it with according springs and bilstein shocks to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by lind4hl View Post
      as topic, i consider this, to get 2way dampers and can buy universial spring so i can change the stiffness,

so anyone done this with some info maybe
      Jay... (Puglife) is doing it for type 85 suspension as we speak.....
      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

I used a company called compbrake (believe hamish on the forum used them also) for 2.5" conversion kits (under £30 each) then you just need springs.
        Rallydesign do 2.25" versions which are used on type 85 front struts.

Hamish has photos of URQ converted struts in his thread, i'll try get some photos in my thread for the rally replica.
        Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
        1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Just what your after

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26499

I was considering doing the same with a spare set of struts, but I have located a set that have already been converted.
          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
            haha. well, i dont have to post the link to what i did then that would be my setup.

Comment

i am also doiung this conversion to my spare struts for the ur .its a pretty straight forward job..what length springs and ratings would be useful info...kits are available from a number of places,compbrake,demon tweeks etc...

Comment

speeding g60: awesome, the tops, did they fit with original topmount?

Comment

If you are converting the UR struts then you want the 2.5" kit from compbrake. The sleves that come with them are a perfect fit! Just need to cut the old spring platform off dress the strut down and then weld the sleve in place. The top hat which comes with the kit is also perfect for the job!

Comment

i will convert the oem rs2 strut in the front (m55) and also do the rears, but i have all figured out now

thanks for the links and info.

i will probably make an guide myself also that i will share!

edit: if i want standard height, what spring-lenght should i go for?

rear same as oem i understand but front is little diffrent or?
                    Last edited by lind4hl; 25 April 2009, 20:34.

Comment

Well with coilover struts the ride height is dependant on where you adjust the spring perch no? I thought that was the whole idea?
                      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

yes that´s right, but i dont mean lengt by 10mm an est. lenght, cause i think the spring must be shorter then oem on the front, but yes you can adjust really much

Comment

did you get spring length sorted??
                          i have ordered 8" long springs as recomended by a few...will post pics of ride height when complete...strut housing is very easy to convert

Comment

for type 85 i went for 9"x 2.5" springs front and rear... you have to take into account spring rates and lengths, a softer spring will compress more, so you need to work out stock length of a compressed spring at stock ride height. Then work out the same for different spring rates and work out the right length, but as said if you get them slightly longer than necessary you can always adjust the spring pan to suit
                            Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                            1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

what kind of ride height are you at then now?close to standard?and how far up the threaded body are the locking collars?i was also told that i could use 7" springs,but thought better of it
                              also spring rates are 450lb front and 550lb rear,i was also told that for track only use 550 front and 650 rears and i have used bilstein inserts with the blue anodised locking top mounts with sherical bearings

Comment

Working...
                              X