Steering Rack On 3b To Replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again,

My ABY steering rack is removed but in doing so I managed to damage 1 of the splines.. can it be salvaged? (by cutting/filing?

Or is it not even that big of a deal? (considering that there are many many splines?)

The damage is that 1 of the ^'s is "more flat" than all the rest, from the beginning of the axle and about 2-4 mm down the line.. then its ok again.

Please advise! and yes.. the engine is coming OUT once more to finish the job.. grr

EDIT: the spline could already have been damaged too.. I guess.. because the rack have been removed/refurbed prior to me buying the car.. but I've got no way of knowing (it worked perfectly in the car)
    Andreas Lundstroem
    A4 STCC Avant -04
    Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
    Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

i'd have thought if all others are ok, you *should* be ok because there wouldnt be any wriggle room....
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

hmm.. no.. thats true.. the "clamp" that fixes the steering column to the steering rack makes it sit pretty tight..

another question (yeah, I'm nervous), whats the best way of fitting the steering rack in terms of position of the wheels etc? when I removed the rack the wheels where facing straight forward.. so I guess I should have the wheels facing straight forward on the car I aim to fit it to as well? then remove the steering rack and fit the new one?

or? <:

EDIT: perhaps it doesnt matter that much? you can basicly just fit it in one way.. then just steer the car so that the tires point straight forward and it the steering wheel aint straight just loosen that and refit? all other things should pretty much stay the same/be okay, right?
        Andreas Lundstroem
        A4 STCC Avant -04
        Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
        Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Hmm, I doubt that V6 model LHD steering racks would be the same as ABY/ADU. ABY/ADU rack has ~2,5 turns from left to right end as "normal" t89 PAS racks have 3. Have to look it up from etka.

Comment

fitted one to my 7a as my stock one was leaking. it is now for sale too is anybody is interesdted.

Ant
            91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
            KW V2s and other goodies
            now gone
            03' BMW 330CI - Sold
            08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
            57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

What do you want for it? What would the shipping to sweden be? I need one for the other car in any case..

EDIT: is it a 895 422 065 C ?
              Andreas Lundstroem
              A4 STCC Avant -04
              Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
              Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                What do you want for it? What would the shipping to sweden be? I need one for the other car in any case..

EDIT: is it a 895 422 065 C ?
                I suspect it's a RHD rack....or I would have had it.....

Chris
                Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

hehe, okok <:
                  Andreas Lundstroem
                  A4 STCC Avant -04
                  Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                  Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

yes sorry Andreas its RHD, just thought someone else reading this may have the same idea you had and may want it.

Ant
                    91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                    KW V2s and other goodies
                    now gone
                    03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                    08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                    57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Working...
                    X