Changed my front bushings today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed my front bushings today...

Got all four sub frame bushings in, very tricky to get in, and I was using a 10-ton press!

A-Arms bushings are a complete nightmare, pushing in is ok, its getting the old ones out that had me stumped for a while. Blow torch, jig-saw, hack-saw, chisel, mallet, and lots of swearing persevered. Interestingly the A-arms had three different hacksaw marks where the bushings were cut out, so it looks like these are the third set to go in. With 96k miles on the car they obviously don’t last very long.

Only advice I can give anyone who has yet to do them is simple, pay somebody else to do it!!!

Mark.

...have to do it all again on the rear
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

They are fun if you dont have the right tools arnt they, My fronts are the third set since i got the car as the set which were on the car were sh*gged, so i got a local mechanic to fit some new ones which failed an MOT 2 month later as the mechanic who fitted the new ones destroyed them fitting them. So if you want a job doing propper do it your self, got some powerflex bushes, made a bush pulling kit at work which works a treat. Hey presto all workin fine. 2 hours to change the back ones with my puller kit the other day
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Do powerflex make subframe bushes for the s2?

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2
        Do powerflex make subframe bushes for the s2?
        Yup!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Graham
          They are fun if you dont have the right tools arnt they, My fronts are the third set since i got the car as the set which were on the car were sh*gged, so i got a local mechanic to fit some new ones which failed an MOT 2 month later as the mechanic who fitted the new ones destroyed them fitting them. So if you want a job doing propper do it your self, got some powerflex bushes, made a bush pulling kit at work which works a treat. Hey presto all workin fine. 2 hours to change the back ones with my puller kit the other day
          Graham
          Graham,

Why don't you sell those puller kits. It would be a service to the community.

Comment

Any idea what the part numbers are?
            Are they the same as the ur quattro?

Thanks

Comment

the same parts may be used on vw passat,quantum,audi80,90,s2,and maybe rs2 from 1979-92......(95?) jepp! it is the same subframe......have the 25t press at home.8-)

Comment

where can u buy powerflex subframe bushings??

Comment

It's worth noting though that even though the subframes are the same for nearly all 5 cylinders the bushes aren't. They changed the mountings on the body and hence the diameter of the centre hole is bigger.

Upto 1993 model year they use M10 bolts.

After that they switched to M12 bolts.

I've got alloy subframe bushes in my Avant. Instead of being pressed in they are two halves that are machined to sit perfectly above and below the subframe. They hold the subframe rock solid but there is very little difference in ride quality and they are a hell of a lot easier to fit.

Dialynx make them for Ur-Quattros. Mine where made at a local engineering place for about £40. Jason took a set of Dialynx ones down (he uses them on Ur-Q) and they copied them. Then the holes where drilled out to the larger size.

Ben
                  the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                  1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I might knock up a couple of puller kits for both bush sizes, i have got a perfect puller design for the smaller bushes as i took an old one to work, i still havnt got the exact dimensions for the larger bushes yet to complete this kit, it is roughed out but not finalised. These do work excellently as i have just done mine and it was a piece of ****. However i do recomend that heat is used to remove the old ones in conjunction with the bush puller. Will let you know how many i make.
                    Graham
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I might knock up a couple of puller kits for both bush sizes
                      Graham
                      Graham,

Did you ever make any? I'd like to get some if you did?

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                        Graham,

Did you ever make any? I'd like to get some if you did?

Rich
                        Id be interested in a puller set for the Subframe bushes too

Dont do struggling anymore and dont really want to drop the subframe to press them out.

I have a Mate with a CNC Lathe looking for some batches to run up if anyone has a puller I could copy ?
                        Cheers
                        Dom

Comment

Yes i have got a set in the garage which fit the smaller bushes perfectly (I Have just done mine with them-Powerflex all round now). All i need for the larger bush kit is a drawing of all the diameters of the larger bush and the ID of the bore.
                          PM me if you want them.
                          Graham

Comment

Oh fook - I forgot all about this little venture Graham. I was to send you a large bush wasn't I ... Mark me down for a bush puller kit - one of each size please. Let us know how much £ when you get 'em going...

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yes i have got a set in the garage which fit the smaller bushes perfectly (I Have just done mine with them-Powerflex all round now). All i need for the larger bush kit is a drawing of all the diameters of the larger bush and the ID of the bore.
                              PM me if you want them.
                              Graham
                              Graham,

I am in for one large and one small tool for the control arms. Let know the price and when the larger one can be ready.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X