Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new suspension!

Hi,

Due to my newly acquired S2 being 10 years old it has 10 year old suspension. This means it handles like an barge! Therefore, I have decided to investigate the best suspension setup that meets my needs. Hopefully this will prevent those sphincter contacting moments when it's all a bit too much for the old girl!

My requirements are that the ride is sportier but does not shatter my spine every time I go over a bit of gravel. I don't want to 'slam' it as I've already had a pretty low car and it only takes one lapse of concentration when going over a speed bump or ramp and you can do some serious damage. However, I fully understand that almost all uprated spring setups give a drop of at least 30mm.

As far as I can tell Koni top adjustables are the order of the day for dampers but any advice or experience of springs would be very helpful when making a decision.

Cheers

Andy
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

H&R springs are the order of the day...you could just renew the stock shock inserts but as these are normally the same or more expensive than a sportier aftermarket solution most people opt for that. having said that i think the H&R's and new stock would probably be a good combination if you dont want a jarring ride on a B road.

I have bilstein shocks and H&Rs' on mine, great on good surfaces but sometimes its a bit too corse for bad ones. Having said that I probably wouldn't go back, the handling is much sharper and the body control is better too...infact with an rs2 ARB and maybe a whiteline rear ARB, it would be even better still....!

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

i bought davids old H&R's and they have been the mutts nuts, ive just ordered koni top adjustable for the front of mine and im leaving the rears as standard, the setup that has been recomended to me is hard on the front - soft on the rears, aparently if you make the rears too hard it makes the car handle like a rear wheel drive which yeah ok could be fun but defeats the point of owning a quattro!!

Comment

H&Rs and adjustable konis are my bag baby, bit harder than standard but worth it:-)
        Ragusa Coupe gone!
        sigpic
        VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
        VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
        vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Standard springs and Bilstein inserts is the daddy.... Firm yet comfy, not too comfy mind, not lowered so no speed bump issues. Can be a tiny bit "floaty" on a big undulation at speed on the motorway say.

That said I am very happy with them. (Especially as the previous owner fitted them at a cost of over £400.... )
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Stock S2 springs and Koni sports, firm ride but forgiving over large bumps. It soaks up bumpy roads with ease. Body control is much improved

Previously it was stock CQ20v shocks & springs which in comparison was like a boat!

I agree with your worries on lowering cars though, I’ve had cracked sumps too in the past. Ok, I drove a modified Honda

Originally posted by Andy_Casey
            Hi,

Due to my newly acquired S2 being 10 years old it has 10 year old suspension. This means it handles like an barge! Therefore, I have decided to investigate the best suspension setup that meets my needs. Hopefully this will prevent those sphincter contacting moments when it's all a bit too much for the old girl!

My requirements are that the ride is sportier but does not shatter my spine every time I go over a bit of gravel. I don't want to 'slam' it as I've already had a pretty low car and it only takes one lapse of concentration when going over a speed bump or ramp and you can do some serious damage. However, I fully understand that almost all uprated spring setups give a drop of at least 30mm.

As far as I can tell Koni top adjustables are the order of the day for dampers but any advice or experience of springs would be very helpful when making a decision.

Cheers

Andy
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Cheers for the advice. Keep it coming.

Andy
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Got stock springs and Bilsteins on the UR and its really good, the Billies are air assisted so they automatically stiffen the spring as well as the damping. Would be nice to be able to adjust them though, its maybe a bit hard at times in the lanes round here, but then I am getting old

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

How much did you guys pay for the Koni top Adjustables and where did you get them from?
                  I've got a blown front shock..
                  Last edited by newsh; 6 August 2004, 19:42.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
                    How much did you guys ay for the Koni top Adjustables and where did you get them from?
                    I've got a blown front shock..
                    demon tweeks - dave poole think they were £104+value added theft
                    01978 663067 (top adustable)

Comment

Koni Adjustables, H&R springs + RS2 front ARB= Wicked handling. But eats the Uprated blue top mounts
                      Coupe

Comment

Abs: Wicked means strange ? (god or bad) ? As I'm going for the same route.
                        Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

@Sweeper. 'Wicked' means 'awesome', or 'very good'.
                          Irvin

'08-'0?:
                          '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
                          '01-'08:
                          '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Dont spose you have a part no for them??

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                            demon tweeks - dave poole think they were £104+value added theft
                            01978 663067 (top adustable)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

It seems that the top adjustables are made for the 20v NA car not the turbo, Koni UK have no listing for the S2, however it seems like some of you guys are using these.

Dave at DT quoted me a price but couldn't get through to Koni to get a delivery time. I need shocks asap so I may just buy the normal S2 Konis but would love a BTDT on the settings to use..

Is anyone using the normal ones that you adjust before putting them in?

If so what settings are you on?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X