No announcement yet.

Electrolysis subframe rust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember this thread, was wondering it a paddling pool might be suitable for subframe, might be difficult not to puncture it though. May give this a try with a few smaller components soon too.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Great thread, Im giving this a go with my subrame as we speak. cant completly cover it all but doing it in sections and must say that it does appear to work quite well!! been reading about the process to and it seems that it is a non-destructive method, which is good.. glad i read this now. good brain food
      1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

o/

It's good to see another local S2 getting the care it deserves.
        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Just checked subframe and heavy rust and grime/oil just washed of with a hose!! it also gets the inner part of the frame which is a bonus, and like originaly posted never draws more than two amps on a fairly heavy duty charger. well impressed, going to do what i can this way as its cost me nothing so far!! except the baking soda im gonna have to replace later.. top job for the diy'ers
          1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Quick question, would this be a good thing to do after removing rust?

1) POR-15 Prep and Ready (previously called Metal Ready)
            2) POR 15 Rust Prevention Paint
            3) POR15 Chassis Coat Black Paint Topcoat

Or only POR 15 rust prevention paint would be enough?

Comment

I have just cheated and sent mine for blasting and galvanising

Was worried that it would come back on the shape of a crisp, but it's has come back fine and all measures correctly

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Is that galvanised as well?

sent with Nokia 6210

Comment

Originally posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
                  I have just cheated and sent mine for blasting and galvanising

Was worried that it would come back on the shape of a crisp, but it's has come back fine and all measures correctly
                  Where and how much, please?

John

Comment

Yes Vas it's galvanised
                    And John I don't really know as I bundled it in with a load of other stuff I was sending. When the rest comes back tomorrow I will try and work it out as its all calculated by weight.
                    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Sounds tempting! Any worth doing any bits that are off on my car while its there?

sent with Nokia 6210

Comment

this should be posted in bmw e30 forums , but they will need big bath to sink theire whole cars on it to get ride from rust

Comment

Originally posted by bartolomeus View Post
                          Quick question, would this be a good thing to do after removing rust?

1) POR-15 Prep and Ready (previously called Metal Ready)
                          2) POR 15 Rust Prevention Paint
                          3) POR15 Chassis Coat Black Paint Topcoat

Or only POR 15 rust prevention paint would be enough?
                          Anybody? I could really use some help...

Comment

Originally posted by bartolomeus View Post
                            Anybody? I could really use some help...
                            Steps 1,2 and 3 is the best option.

If you just use POR15 it can peel in places.

And If you dont paint over it after it fades to a dull grey if sunlight ever gets to it...
                            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

looks good Brian. I am getting my front and rear subframes as well as my wishbones all galved in the next few weeks. They quoted me roughly a pound per kilo as long as the stuff is quite small(small being not 10x10ft gates or anything) Im going to POR15 over the galv afterwards for extra protection and for the look. I guess the bare galv is more than up to the job anyway even when chipped the cathodic protection will keep it good.

My slight worry is that my bambridge ali subframe mounts might be a bit tight afterwards.

Comment

I'm guessing you'll probably have to file/reem out the subframe bushing holes after galvanising. Should last pretty much forever though!!!
                                Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                                03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                                01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Working...
                                X