Electrolysis subframe rust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martinws View Post
    I am getting my front and rear subframes as well as my wishbones all galved in the next few weeks.
    Which company will you be using? I'd be interested to see the finished results too if you could post some pics of the finished item(s).

Comment

I'm surprised it didn't come back warped to be honest, it looks good.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Bambridge Ali bushes fit with no work

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

looks good Brian. I am getting my front and rear subframes as well as my wishbones all galved in the next few weeks. They quoted me roughly a pound per kilo as long as the stuff is quite small(small being not 10x10ft gates or anything) Im going to POR15 over the galv afterwards for extra protection and for the look. I guess the bare galv is more than up to the job anyway even when chipped the cathodic protection will keep it good.

My slight worry is that my bambridge ali subframe mounts might be a bit tight afterwards.
          Who is doing it Martin? Are they stripping it first?

Be interested to hear how you get on.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

All done and fitted just need alignment on Monday.

Makes the rest of the underside look awful though....

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
              Who is doing it Martin? Are they stripping it first?

Be interested to hear how you get on.

Im using Clydeside galvers in Glasgow. I have to get all the paint off then they acid dip them to get any rust or grease off then dip it. I have a sandblaster that im going to try out. I have not used a sandblaster before so dont know how it will come out.

I was going to stitch weld the subframes and wishbones to help stop the warping but i guess it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bartolomeus View Post
                Anybody? I could really use some help...
                I have found the prep and ready stuff a little bit hit and miss sometimes. I have been using the FLAG rust converter first then steps 2 and 3 which works well
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Im using Clydeside galvers in Glasgow. I have to get all the paint off then they acid dip them to get any rust or grease off then dip it. I have a sandblaster that im going to try out. I have not used a sandblaster before so dont know how it will come out.

I was going to stitch weld the subframes and wishbones to help stop the warping but i guess it should be fine.
                  Keep us updated

What kind of sandblaster?
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I recently refurbed 4 pickup mounted salt spreaders, the smallish tailgate mounted ones with auger. vibrate motor and spinner. Imagine a company manufacturing and selling equipment specifically for salt handling not treating their product for rust prevention god dam americans, all metal parts big and small went to scottish galvanisers (southside glasgow) and came back as they should with no warping.

Last weekend i was helping a mate that owns a steelshop erect a large raised walkway mainly made up of 8mmx12mmx8mm C section some stretching as long as 20ft, certain pieces that had been fabricated for uprights made from the same gauge of cold rolled steel had warped from the heat of the galvanising process around the areas that had been welded. (clydeside galvanisers)

I am no expert by any means but my personal experience of this is that formed steel, cold rolled or pressed etc. after being welded runs a higher risk of warping when galved.

this theory is probably wrong and is just coincidence, just my view but be careful martin.

Comment

Which works better, baking soda or washing soda(crystals)?

Greg W.
                      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
                        Which works better, baking soda or washing soda(crystals)?

Greg W.
                        Seems to be not much of a difference

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/R...ashingSoda.htm
                        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

thanks for the link.

Greg W.
                          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Interested in trying this.

Is there a ratio of washing soda to water?

Pete
                            Audi RS2 Volcano Black, MRC chip, Milltek exhaust

Comment

Tried this today, well impressed

Comment

Working...
                              X