replacing the Bomb..how easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing the Bomb..how easy

I have the MOT coming up and yesterday for the first time I got the (!) appear during general braking. As the bomb has been on the way out for the last 4 years i think its finally knackered. I have a spare 2nd hand one form Mike D's S2 which I need to fit.

Any idea on time required to change and also how easy access is etc.

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Originally posted by s2driveruk
    I have the MOT coming up and yesterday for the first time I got the (!) appear during general braking. As the bomb has been on the way out for the last 4 years i think its finally knackered. I have a spare 2nd hand one form Mike D's S2 which I need to fit.

Cheers,

David
    If it's the same as a Citroen Hydraulic displacer then it's a quick job ( if the access is ok and it's not rusted on! It is like swapping an oil filter. But if you can't start it turning then you may have a problem......

Undertray off may be the best way of gaining access.

David

Comment

Is any pressure retained whent the engine is off? if so how is it released first? and what pressure does it run at?

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
        Is any pressure retained whent the engine is off? if so how is it released first? and what pressure does it run at?

Greg
        Good point Greg, the pressure is released by pumping the brake pedal, inside the units is a Nitrogen filled bladder. I feel this can be recharged by a place that does Citroen spheres such as Westroen in Manchester.

HTH

David

Comment

Coming from underneath is your best idea, you will need a 10mm socket & ratchet, screwdrivers, 11mm brake pipe spanner and a 14mm spanner. When placing the new one in i would do the union joint first before securing the accumulator in place it makes it a bit easier

Comment

Thanks Chen/guys, info much appreciated. I guess thats my weekend sorted then

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk

Cheers,

David
              BTDT
              you need to be underneath the car for some bolds and couplings AND from the bonnet side of the car to also loosen some screw and coupling.
              In my case some bolds were very tight and hard to loosen.
              Then a lot of oil comes pooring out (have a bucket available) :mischeif:

After that do all the work in the reverse order, fill the oilcontainer.
              Then HOPE the new bomb is better then the old one.
              In my case it held for about a week then the "new" bomb let me down.

Succes!!
              No power, no glory!
              S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

Might be a good idea to change the hydraulic filter as well.

David

Comment

as in the one in the reservoir?

A good blast with carb cleaner or something should do the trick i'd have thought?
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                    Might be a good idea to change the hydraulic filter as well.

David

Which filter is that?
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

It's probably the one that rots and gets thrown away. It's in (or rather was in) the neck of the hydraulic green snot reservoir.
                      'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

yep as i thought...mines still there and covered in a light black film of rotting seal rubber i'd guess
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Our bombs can't be refilled as the citroen units.
                          -

Comment

Guys - theres a whole blurb on the hydraulic system of our wonderful cars on S2 Central ! Funny that....

http://S2central.net/brakes_06.html
                            Its ~140bar system pressure inside a healthy system, so you NEVER disconnect it until it has been defused by 50-odd brake pumps with the engine off.

Its about a 1 to 2 hour job depending on how lucky you are with rusty nuts. Access to some is a pain - I recommend getting new N's & B's for all of that - I'm pretty sure all the parts are listed at S2 Central.

Be *very* careful with the hardlined nuts and only start the threads by hand - or you'll end up crying into six pints of your favourite brew...

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

top response guys...! Thanks, David
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X