Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KW V1 Inox Feedback req'd

Evening All.

I'm looking at purchasing a KW V1 Inox coilover kit and was after some feedback on how the system performs comfort wise on our lovely road network.. I don't know anyone near enough with this set up to try it out so was after an honest opinion on whether it's ok and more than bearable or just plain uncomfortable? I'm hoping the system isn't too track biased as i'll only do one or two track sessions a year at the most. I'll be honest and say it's the look and stance i'm after as much as the improved handling but I don't want to end up not enjoying the time I spend on the road! Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Russ
    Old Stuff Reborn.

Rusty,

Keen on answers to these questions also, and while don’t want to hijack the thread hopefully this question below is relevant also.

Happy to start another thread if needed, but I felt it might be better to have all the replies on the one thread for all of us to refer to.

Leaving aside the obvious problem that the V3 coilover kit is dearer, how suitable can it be adjusted to be user friendly for everyday use on real roads, i.e. bad road repairs, speed ramps etc..

Or should one stick to a a v1 kit? My car will never be tracked, but I like it lowered than standard, but still comfortable for daily use.

All feedback for Rusty and myself gratefully received.

Thanks.

Comment

I have read that the V1s are pretty comfortable. Issue with the V3s as far as i am concerned is setup, you really need to know what you are up to to get them dialled in. With highly adjustable suspension a little knowledge is dangerous. For me I really don't have the time or knowledge to get all the variables to my liking i don't think.
      I am also considering V1s currently so feedback is definately of interest to me also
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

More than happy for this thread to be a one stop shop for q&a's on the KW's. I'm in agreement with Error, I had a 'homemade' coilover system previously and it never felt right as it was never properly set up. I was looking at having to do corner weighting, testing different spring ratings, adjusting the shocks each time to suit blah blah… I just want an out of the box system that someone else has done all the leg work on that makes my car sit the way I want it to visually and that works safely and with relative comfort.
        Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Just ask lupo911

Comment

You should be able to request spring rates for road use.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Rusty, never knew that option was there. Would be great if it can be done.

Jamo, agreed and while I’ve spoken to Lupo911 in the past, and was impressed about what he had to say regarding KW, before I part with money and effort, I wanted to get some feedback from other members on their own experiences with V1 and V3.

Hopefully others with KW fitted will share their thoughts, and make this thread a one stop point for KW reference, rather than having to trawl through loads of threads looking for snippets here and there.

TIA to anyone who can impart some feedback on how they got on, and what they would advise someone to do, now that they have BTDT.

Comment

I think Ruffiano in the US recently fitted some to his coupe? Acidburn has some on his UR but its not rolling just yet
                and IIRC Stu (4wheeldrifter) had some of the original ones based on OE struts. I'm sure there are plenty more besides
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Error,

Agreed, I’ve seen Ruffiano’s positive posts, still trying to elicit more members to post, suspension is very subjective, as only want to buy the right ones once if you know what I mean.

A bit like the choice of turbos and engine management is also very subjective.

Comment

To compare spring rates, Ciaran has KW with about 400lb front 360 rear in a coupe IIRC. This compares to around 210lb all round for HnRs, based on Lloyd's research & contact with HnR. Not aware of damper comparison with Koni or Bilstein options.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I had H & R on my S2 and the stance was great but too stiff. How could KW springs be stiffer and yet more comfortable ?

Comment

it's the damper match to the spring rates that is the important factor for comfort.
                        H&Rs are a similar rate to OE springs
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've already said what I think of KW many times. I've had 3 sets now, on 3 different cars, and they have all had problems. I don't think I'll bother again.
                          The alloy parts crack, as do the plastic parts that have replaced them, the dampers can leak after a short time, and the stainless struts bend.

They're like Konis, good ride, good price, but not built to last IMHO.
                          SS

Comment

Did you get any help from KW when you reported your issues? I'm hoping they've learnt and improved with their latest offerings as i'm very close to a purchase now! Were the cars you had issues with used as daily drivers or weekenders?
                            Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

I have just bought a set for my coupe but they aren't fitted yet. My friend has the V1's fitted to his coupe s2 and his rs2 and says the difference in handling is like night & day. I have been in the rs2 many times and the ride is obviously a bit harsher. I decided that it was perfectly acceptable for me and bought a set, but then I don't drive the s2 every day, and everyone's opinion will be different. My friend has had the KW's on the rs for a few years now but again the car is not used often and always kept inside so might not be fair to comment about the durability of them.

Still can't wait to get mine fitted

Comment

Working...
                              X