Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack Replacement (servotronic with non servotronic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Replacement (servotronic with non servotronic)

Can I replace my servotronic rack with a non servotronic rack. I noticed the one on the 3b has a sensor on it but the replacement I have off a 7a does not. I have the servotronic box disconnected under the rear seat.

Will it throw up errors if it is not connected?
    1991 Audi S2 Coupe

No, atleast ser servotronic ECU on mu UrS6 is not connected to the Diagnostics.

Comment

Your fine to go from Servotronic to a standard rack.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I would fit an ABY/RS2 one, they are quicker (2.6 turns Vs 3.0 turns for the coupe quattro. Straight fit
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Anyone got any ideas how to get this bitch out? I have undone all bolts and no matter which way I wriggle I cannot get it all the way off the steering column or the housing under the wheel arch. I would use an ABY one but this is all I have at the moment and I just want to get it back together and driving the damn thing. Its a pretty expensive giant paper weight atm
          1991 Audi S2 Coupe

Comment

I found I had to take the column out from inside the car, I drove a flat blade screwdriver into the clamp to open it up a bit where it sits on the splines of the rack. The bolt has to be removed as it sits in a groove in the shaft. It's a PITA

Edit: IIRC I also had to free the rubber boot from the firewall so the rack would slide sideways to clear the wheelarch.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

I recently changed my rack in-situ. It's a bitch to get off the steering column joint. You can take it out along with the rack but with the engine in the way you need all the room you can get and that won't help at all. Best way is to remove the steering column from the rubber / buckle joint in the cabin and use a slide hammer to get it off, or very gently open the alloy spline block slightly with a pry bar and loosen it up with a few taps of a tickling stick.

The rack doesn't fit out of the hole in the inner wing as is commonly believed, I had to wriggle mine out behind the ABS pump, no hope of doing that with the battery tray in place on the 3B. I would try removing the throttle body, heater hoses, inlet manifold and as much wiring and gubbins from behind the engine as possible and see if you can wriggle it out there. If need be you could remove the ABS pump and master cylinder along with all the brake lines to give you more space. Good luck
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

In Situ!!! Damn you crazy!

I got the head off and it is still a bitch! It has partially come off the column by putting a large spanner around the collar and prizing it.

May just need to persevere, its just one of those typically frustrating S2 jobs

PITA is the epitome of the Audi S2
                1991 Audi S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X