Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• un-even ride height! HELP.

Morning guys.

Wondering if anyone has ever had this sort of issue before.

I have a 1993 (B4) 80 saloon (2.0 16v) and I’ve recently fitted a Weitec 60mm ultra GT suspension kit.
    However, on the front there is 20mm difference in ride height (measured from floor to top of arch).
    I have spoken to Awesome GTi (who have been in touch with Weitec) and they have suggested swapping the springs over which I did.
    This made no difference and the same side (drivers) sat lower than the passenger side. See pictures below.

I have told Awesome/Weitec this and they are now saying it is an issue with the car, tbh I never noticed the arch gap been uneven in the past.

The only thing I can think of is the dampers but taking them out is a long

Are there any suspension parts that could alter the ride height by 20mm? could something have been fitted incorrectly in the past?

Regarding top mounts, they are both brand new.

Under the car there are no signs of crash damage / welding / etc. that would cause 20mm of chassis twist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

In order for the ride height to be different the strut length from the top mount of the top mount to the bottom ball joint must be different side to side.
    Who fitted them? Are you sure the strut & top mount is assembled correctly on both sides? My first guess is the top mount / spring perch are not seated correctly. Have a look at that. If not have you tried swapping the springs?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I fitted them.
      I'm sure I assembled them correctly with the springs seated right. Didnt measure the length of them as I didnt expect any issues.
      Will be taking them out again and I will check the lengths.

I did say I'd swapped the springs round already, it didnt make any difference.

also, after swapping the springs the height difference was the same as before. . . . Do you rekon one of the dampers could be a different length, I can't imagine why it would be but its the only other thing I can think of. Unless, something has been incorrectly fitted in the past?

Thanks for you response Error404!

Comment

This is an odd one!!
        It would be interesting to know if you have a arch to wheel centre difference on the rear also. I know you have mentioned that you dont think there is any twist but a ride height difference on one axle but different on the other on level ground would indicate a chassis twist to me.
        What are all of your wheel centre to arch distances:
        OSF=
        OSR=
        NSF=
        NSR=
        I would expect to see the drivers side being lower on the front and the rear if there is no chassis twist and the suspension is at fault, or alternatively to see an opposite on the rear if there is twist (due to a balance between corners) if the back is level and the front is not, then im stumped....
        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

What are your top mounts like? If one has collapsed on one side of car that could explain the lower ride height on one side.
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

They are new IIRC.

Comment

re2500 I will get the measurements tonight.

Greg, both top mounts are new.

Comment

Yes, definitely check the rear as well, I've had a broken spring on the back of my ur which made the front look low on one side.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

or a bent shock..
                  1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

have you checked that the spring is seated properly against the stops?

I can't see the damper causing that issue as its not load bearing in the same way that the spring is.
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

had a bent shock on a toyota before, when let off the jack it sat at a certain point and would only drop if you bounced that side, and i was also putting lowering spings in the car. especially with inserts as they can be fitted wrong and or wrong insert fitted.. just my 2 cents.
                      1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Is this too much of a long shot?
                        If we assume that we have all suspension parts in good and correct order and that all is fitted correctly and that the car is not twisted, maybe a previous owner has had a poor standard pattern part wing fitted and the "arch" is slightly different to OEM spec, thus giving the impression of a different ride height.

Comment

Thats always a possibility....
                          Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                          03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                          01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Both my S2 avant and my C4 A6 Estate sit like that with the drivers side front low and the passenger side high. Both have had their suspension replaced (they needed it anyway) and are still the same. I've come to the conclusion it's just the way 5 cylinder turbocharged Audis are.

Cheers

David
                            1994 16v Coupe - Sold on and sadly missed
                            1994 S2 Avant - Warmed up a bit
                            1995 A6 Avant - Dag Dag Delight

Comment

But the car in question ain't a 5-pot..

Comment

Working...
                              X