Banging Noise Up Front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banging Noise Up Front

caN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MAYBE CAUSING A SLIGHT BANGING NOISE UP AT THE FRONT WHEELS. wHEN GOING OVER BUMPS I GET A SLIGHT RUMBLE LIKE BUSHES NEED RENEWING. cOULD THIS BE SUSPENSION BUSHES OR WISHBONE, IS THERE ANY OTHER RUBBERS OR BUSHES THAT MAY NEED REPLACING.

CHEERS

3B S2

I had a similar noise when going over bumps etc. It turned out to be a partially stripped thread on one of the drop links.
    I got a replacement, but never got round to changing it as the temporary fix of stacked washers seemed to cure the fault.
    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

most of the rubber should be due a replacement if its never been done before on the S2. Bangs (i normally get them on the passenger side front) as this wheel gets the worst of the road, I'd guess a top mount on its way out. However if the rubber has been stripped from the wishbone metal sleeve then it can clunk and bang too.

Best thing to do is to change balljoints, top mounts, wishbones and maybe even the subframe mounts too. Its amazing how different the car feels once they have been renewed.

Good luck

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Has anyone got a price for the wishbones because as far as i can tell they are specific on the ABY and dealer retail is £76 each!!
        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

sorry i meant wishbone bushes
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

thanks lads, it turns out to be passenger top mount, i just got it changed. i think the drop link is also a bit loose but G & S never had any. top mount will cure most of the damage.

Comment

iT'S PROBABLY YOUR ANTI ROLL BAR LINKS THAT NEEDS REPLACING. yOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO PRESS THE CAPS LOCK KEY.
              -

Comment

gsf normally stock the front and rears.....or at least they did
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X