No announcement yet.

Please Help! PAS pump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just released the bolts etc to take the belt off and after a bit of force I managed to get the pulley to turn . One thing I noticed is there's a lot of fluid discharged around the reservoir possibly indicating overfill? One thing for sure is there's fluid coming from the pulley bearing area but all other seal points are ok. The bottom pulley also has a bit of play.
    Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Out of interest, who is rebuilding these pumps for you?

Does anyone have any experience of Jay Gee Hydraulics in Wolverhampton. I spoke with them today, very helpful, they said they would bench test a pump for free before stripping and rebuilding. A full rebuild is £95 +VAT.

Comment

Right, you're either going to laugh and say 'you fool, you forgot to...' or you're not going to laugh and might say 'there's your problem'.. (I'm hoping the latter). Anyway, I read up on the pump as much as possible but couldn't find any threads that indicated any real how to's on pump removal so I cracked on with the limited learning I had gained. I removed the bottom banjo nut to drain the fluid from the reservoir and managed to catch nearly all the fluid with a strategically placed plastic bowl beneath. My next port of call was to loosen the slim solid pipe nut at the top of the pump, the one that connects through to the brake bomb. This is where the fun started! As I cracked the nut ps fluid absolutely hammered out under a ridiculous amount of pressure! I was bloody lucky it didn't head towards my face! Fortunately I had covered most of the surrounding engine Bay Area with rags and paper towel and the fluid flew towards the front and over the slam panel (the garage needed a clean anyway!). Let's just say I wasn't expecting that to happen... I managed to screw the bolt back in pretty quickly to stop the fluid flow but I'm now left not knowing why this happened or what to do next? The car hadn't been running and I would have thought the only way pressure could build up in the system would have been with the engine running? Other than that all I can think of that would cause this is if the bomb had discharged? I'm obviously a bit stuck at this point as I still need to take the pump out but this fluid pressure issue is a bit of a brick wall... A point to note is I didn't pump the brake pedal but I wasn't aware this was necessary, maybe it is?.. Either way let this serve as a warning to anyone carrying out this task. I was lucky.
        I would appreciate some input at this point.
        Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

I'm surprised the residual pressure in the line hadn't dissipated back through the pump, unless there is a check valve in the banjo bolt? Don't think there is/should be from memory. Of course if your pump is seized the pistons might be seized solid in the bores effectively sealing them. There definitely is a check valve in the bomb, that should prevent reversion from the pressurised side of it anyway. Something(s) is definitely amiss IMHO.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That's what I thought too Alex hence why the episode was so odd. I can't even see how pimping the pedal would have relieved the pressure left at that point?
            Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Pumping... That's not my line of work..
              Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Has a check valve been added but connected the wrong way around? Have you connected the pipes the right way around?

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of the ETKA exploded diagram of the power steering and braking system they could post up for me? I had ETKA on disc but it has conveniently disappeared... I need the pn's for all the seals etc but also want to look at every part of the system in an effort to find the gremlin. I've got my pump back after being rebuilt under warranty so looking for some spare time to work in the issue.
                  Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

These might help
                    Attached Files
                    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Sorry old chap, missed your PM.

There's nothing in the system that I could see to cause your issues, so could just try a spare pump and get it working.

Never had an issue with bleeding and am not aware of the need to prime the system, other than filling it up to the level and making sure it doesn't run dry.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Have you taken the banjo bolt off the bomb to check it isn't blocked up as that is the next part of the system after the pump on the high pressure side as Newsh suggested?
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                          Have you taken the banjo bolt off the bomb to check it isn't blocked up as that is the next part of the system after the pump on the high pressure side as Newsh suggested?

Second that, Very fine filter in that.
                          RS 2 580HP

Comment

Thanks IrishS2! Just what I was after. Apologies for not thanking you sooner, been out of action for a bit after we had to do a dash to the hospital last week. We now have a new addition to our family!
                            Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Apart from the filter in the banjo would a knackered accumulator be the cause? I'm going to put everything back together this weekend and I'm thinking of buying a new accumulator just to be sure and at the cars age I would think a new one would be a good addition anyway?
                              Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

I'd replace both banjo's with filters @ pump and @ bomb, plus banjo at rack. Blow out the lines with brake cleaner and then air, then replace.

Bleed with wheels front jacked up.

Banjo screen bolts are expensive, and I tried to clean, but ended up just replacing.

I used a check valve from the RS2 on the rack, S2 doesn't use on for some reason. Probably overkill there.

I ordered my PS pump from RockAuto : REMY DSP044. Happy with the rebuild (UK), much better than the Cardone model I first received (US).

LHD Car, but should be the same. Oh and pump those brakes to bleed the bomb

443612275E

BANJO BOLT

$0.00

$34.72

443612275C

BANJO BOLT

$24.80

8E0422529

Check valve

$9.20
                                1990 Coupe Quattro, Full RS2 Conversion

http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...rs2/index.html

2008 S4 Avant, Sprint Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X