Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lowered cars-experience and pictures please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowered cars-experience and pictures please?

So I want to lower my S4 Avant, I am not sure by how much yet. I need new bump stops and dust covers, so If I am taking it all off, might as well get her lowered.

I don't want coilovers, because they are expensive and too harsh. So I would go for lowering springs, any suggestions on springs? As there are cheap one's going for £150 and there are sets for £300+. I understand that I won't be able to use stock bump stops, so I would need shorter one's, would universal one's do the job, or is there specific one's i should look for?

If lowered with springs, how bad/good is the ride quality compared to stock setup? I have 17" and 225/45's wrapped around those.

Don't be shy to share pictures of your lowered cars, just so I can get an idea

Anything else I should know?

Thanks
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

I believe Eibach used to do lowering springs for the C4 S4/S6 but those are NLA. If your suspension is standard ie non sport then i can understand what your trying to achieve as the Audi sport suspension lowers the car by 20 mm and has better handling. Audi Sport suspension is 1BE.

Is yours standard suspension?

If you have sport suspension as standard then apparently according to Moggies his experience with lowered springs is one he would rather forget such was the terrible ride.He reverted back to standard sport suspension AFAIK.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
      I believe Eibach used to do lowering springs for the C4 S4/S6 but those are NLA. If your suspension is standard ie non sport then i can understand what your trying to achieve as the Audi sport suspension lowers the car by 20 mm and has better handling. Audi Sport suspension is 1BE.

Is yours standard suspension?

If you have sport suspension as standard then apparently according to Moggies his experience with lowered springs is one he would rather forget such was the terrible ride.He reverted back to standard.
      How do I tell if it's standard or sport suspension? It's definitely lower than my A100 was.

'93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

You might be surprised how harsh and crashy lowering springs and standard shocks can be in comparison to a good quality coilover setup.

I personally think that these days the 'coilovers = harsh, springs = comfy' argument is flawed and outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringmaster View Post
          You might be surprised how harsh and crashy lowering springs and standard shocks can be in comparison to a good quality coilover setup.

I personally think that these days the 'coilovers = harsh, springs = comfy' argument is flawed and outdated.
          Coil overs for mine would set me back £1000+, and I am not spending that sorta money on suspension
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
            How do I tell if it's standard or sport suspension?[/IMG][/URL]
            Here's a picture of mine and mine is definately 1BE sport suspension. So it's 2 pink dots and 1 silver

Mine are about to get Bilstein B6 sports shocks all round still waiting on delivery from germany but for your reference if your rear shock absorber lower bolt is M10 then it's standard and if it's like mine an M12 with the colour dots above you definately have Sports suspension. Easy enough just partially push out your lower bolt and measure the shock bolt hole.

Attached Files
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Yep, they're not cheap are they! However, unless you match the shock to the spring you're in for the odd bang and crash that totally spoils the drive.

It's surprising how little you need to change a standard shock's operating travel to completely throw it out of its stride. And that's not just old Audis.

Shorter uprated shocks are a much better option than standard if you do go with lowering springs. Certain combinations of Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers have proved popular across many chassis setups, anecdotally at least. But that's still gonna demand a bit of cash.

In my experience, after messing around with loads of shock/spring setups on loads of different cars, good quality coilovers (Weitec, KW etc) have always proved better composed, better damped, better quality, and much more versatile.

Modern coilovers (the afformentioned brands at least) are so well balanced between spring and damper rates that it makes it quite difficult, and maybe even a false economy, to eventually find a fixed-height mix and match shock and spring setup that does what you expect in terms of ride quality in comparison.

Just my tuppence!!!

Comment

Just kissed... nearly touched the speed bump yesterday ... no speed at all,,, no no no.... normal car for me, but this is only my opinion. If You are going to truck days than lower and stiff car makes sense.

Comment

I agree with the above member Janis.If you lower what looks to me a lowered sports suspension on your S4,any further,You are making a track car and not a everyday user.You will regret it.

Genuine Audi sports suspension is actually very good if maintained and on a 20 year old car that means new shocks and bushes needed and it will perform beautifully. Another member on here had a FWD B4 2.6 chipped saloon on sports suspension tweaked with poly bushes on the rear axle and lower wishbones and left everybody inc quattros for deadup in the highlands on a drive meet they have up there.He also tweaked the brakes so he could brake far latter than everyone else.
                  94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I think a couple of guys have looked into a company that can lower your standard springs etc for very reasonable money, might have been andy10v or error404 maybe.

Comment

I had a Supersport shocks and springs kit on my coupe, I was strapped for cash at the time and my rear shocks were goosed! Anyway they were only about £200 and for that money I was well impressed! 4 shocks and springs £200 Bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                        I agree with the above member Janis.If you lower what looks to me a lowered sports suspension on your S4,any further,You are making a track car and not a everyday user.You will regret it.

Genuine Audi sports suspension is actually very good if maintained and on a 20 year old car that means new shocks and bushes needed and it will perform beautifully. Another member on here had a FWD B4 2.6 chipped saloon on sports suspension tweaked with poly bushes on the rear axle and lower wishbones and left everybody inc quattros for deadup in the highlands on a drive meet they have up there.He also tweaked the brakes so he could brake far latter than everyone else.
                        Fair point. I've been looking at poly bushes, as ideally I'd like to refurb suspension completely next summer possibly. Is there other options apart from poly's? I would think new non-poly bushing would be good enough for day to day use, maybe occasional track day?

Originally posted by bikerjim View Post
                        I had a Supersport shocks and springs kit on my coupe, I was strapped for cash at the time and my rear shocks were goosed! Anyway they were only about £200 and for that money I was well impressed! 4 shocks and springs £200 Bargain!
                        All 4 shocks are new on mine, so would be stupid to buy another set just to lower it. It would maybe be clever to leave ride height as it is and just invest that money in getting all new bushes and other suspension parts.
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

this subject confuses me - if you look at the s6 catalogue from "back in the day" you'll see what looks like a lowered car on the cover - i have never seen an s6/ urs4 that looked like this as standard - they always have cavernous gaps at the wheel arches!!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

I believe all cars were and maybe still? are lower in the catalogues than in real life.
                            Because it looks better

Comment

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
                              this subject confuses me - if you look at the s6 catalogue from "back in the day" you'll see what looks like a lowered car on the cover - i have never seen an s6/ urs4 that looked like this as standard - they always have cavernous gaps at the wheel arches!!

my UrS6 with 1BE has the same height as Brochure.
                              one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Working...
                              X