Intermittent power steering fault and low speed groan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent power steering fault and low speed groan

I've got bit of a problem with the power steering on my avant. A few times when travelling slowly, usually drawing into a parking space or when turning off the road at a sharp junction, the power steering has shut off for a few seconds. There is also belt squeek when starting up from cold but the belt seems to be tensioned well (have tightened it a fraction). I presume the pump is on its way out but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

Also there is steering groan at low speeds which I don't imagine is related but does anyone know what it is? My old B3 16v quattro had the same groan but the s2 is a little worse I'd say. I guess its a fairly common fault. Sounds like a dry column bush or something??
    Last edited by Addison_80; 26 October 2014, 23:13.

Originally posted by Addison_80 View Post
    Also there is steering groan at low speeds which I don't imagine is related but does anyone know what it is? My old B3 16v quattro had the smae grown but the s2 is a little worse I'd say. I guess its a fairly common fault. Sounds like a dry column bush or something??
    The steering dampers groan when they are failing.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

The pump groans if fluid is low.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Fluid level is fine. Checked that the first time the assistance cut out. You can feel a very slight resistance/vibration when turning the wheel so could be the dampner. I had wondered about column bushes but not sure if thats a common issue. Dampner would be a good place to start I guess.

Comment

I've had a track rod end groan due to it nearly seizing up. That would groan/creak at a low speed.

Comment

Try a new fan belt. They wear on the sides and as a result can not handle the torque.
            Regards
            Ryss
            www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Working...
            X