No announcement yet.

looking for theory or fact as to why my wheels dont catch inner balljoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need camber bolts mate, there is some adjustment there from the factory.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i ordered some anyway. 19 quid all in collect from th'argos down the road. iirc i may be a bolt short of a full set of m14. remember im on drilled out shocks at present. its not the same hole size its a tight fit than on the s2 standard shock. its a 14mm drill bit rubber around a bit just enough to tap a bolt through.

it may help me. if not at least i know they are new. also i can mark um up and get it right again of i take um off...in theory.

im looking at going from 235 to 215 tyres. anybody got anty experience or know the extra clearany ill get. should be 10mm? but leaning in a tad? i can pull the balljoint out a fraction too?

then its arch fun time. the lips on the b3 inside are big enough to sit on.

Comment

We need pics, I'm confused, by shocks do you mean struts? Cos on my coupe the shocks are inside the struts and there are no holes in them to be drilled out..

Maybe the hubs sit further out on your struts which means the tyres clear the ball joint. If you loosen the wishbone to bottom ball joint bolts then you can pull the bottom of the wheel further out. (then adjust the tracking, obviously...)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

I use H&R camber bolts on my coupe. Had them on the car for about 5 years with no problems, street or track.

Greg W.
          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

newsh - yes i mean struts. shocks i hope are still in there. i have terminology issues. they are shocks and inserts to me.

the balljoint is in the same place as was on the s2. not moved it. i dont really want to move the wheel further out to be honest as its a narrow arch. i will give it a go though. ill mark them up and move it out a few mm.

im, gonna try n source some tyres when i pick up the bolts toiorrow. think that will be key.

ill photo and measure. there are lots of paerts on these cars that look identical but are a few mm different. thats 16v to s2.

greg - thansk for the feedback on the bolts. had them on my scirocco. sure they were factory on that though, and my dads mx5. factory for sure.

Comment

From the cq20v service training, different bits to a 90q, and I would assume 80q.

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

stainless steel wishbones?
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I was laughing at that, mistranslation of what?
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

maybe the German for "cheap as **** pressed crap" is similar to "stainless". Somehow I think not
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

quick update

had some 205 45 17 tyres fitted to the fronts. loads of clearance. no spacers needed at all for the et 45 rims. changes the angle on the shock. i got 2 m12 in the top holes on the struts on both sides await the camber bolts still.

tyres are ion the arch now. i need to put some more camber on them and dont want to pull the balljoint out any more so i think things are gonna be just fine. i reckon i could get away with 215 45 17 at the front to be honest.

the rears i have the 235 45 17 on still need to change this for a 40 profile next. no spacers on the rear clears the inner joint by about 5mm. fits in the arch but id expect under some hard cornering it may catch

seems to go against the general thought that et45 need spacers.

cars looking pretty nice i think too. now to get her running.

Comment

Working...
                      X