No announcement yet.

Tubular Subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy for people to be critical, I am an engineer its my job to be critical and I always welcome feedback (ask James!). A Road going one would be more beneficial for numbers wise but creates a few headaches. Recreating something like the OE could be done but I have never looked much into it.
    Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
    1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

There is a bit of a clash between motorsport engineering and NVH!
      So just to be clear, there is a version that bolts straight in and uses all the stock components or common upgrades such as a Whiteline ARB and clears the exhaust?
      It's a bit offensive comparing the bean counters solution with a clean sheet design.

Comment

@Albert - I only noticed because I know Momentum sell they're subframes for people to sell on. Aerocom and Proformance are the only two I would trust in UK but they supply to nearly all Motorsport teams.

I only ever got to a calculated weight, due to the prototype going straight on James' car we never got round to an "As fabricated" weight. This one comes in at around 6.5kg from memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Puglife View Post
          Aerocom and Proformance are the only two I would trust in UK but they supply to nearly all Motorsport teams.
          Bingo We are getting them only form those two. I have the same toughs on other "T45" suppliers.

I only ever got to a calculated weight, due to the prototype going straight on James' car we never got round to an "As fabricated" weight. This one comes in at around 6.5kg from memory?
          thanks for letting us know.
          AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
            There is a bit of a clash between motorsport engineering and NVH!
            So just to be clear, there is a version that bolts straight in and uses all the stock components or common upgrades such as a Whiteline ARB and clears the exhaust?
            It's a bit offensive comparing the bean counters solution with a clean sheet design.
            Rollbar attachment is easy enough to do but wasnt really much of a requirement on the design I did (its a weld on block at the end of the day).

I wanted a simple design, based around my experience as a motorsport design engineer that allows easy service but retains all the basic requirements of a supporting frame. The diff was held in by more bolts than OE but it is solid mounted to two front plates and 4 rear bosses.

Obviously the OE is a pressed sheet with machined bosses which means expensive tooling and big machinary. Doing something similar but incorporating a tubular structure would allow OE bushes and mounts to be used, but would prob require a good 20-30hrs design time on it. Cost wise you would probably still look at £800 mark for a fabricated item as tubing is expensive and theres a fair bit of fabrication time.

Comment

Actually I like the way the diff is mounted purely from an aesthetic point of view and it gets rid of three mounts. But a solid mounted diff and subframe sounds like it would be difficult to live with on the road rather than the track.
              From my own perspective, I was looking for a better constructed subframe than the original. What design features it could incorporate from your existing one is the debate. Of course once we have moved away from the original there might be nothing other the dimensions in common.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                Actually I like the way the diff is mounted purely from an aesthetic point of view and it gets rid of three mounts. But a solid mounted diff and subframe sounds like it would be difficult to live with on the road rather than the track.
                From my own perspective, I was looking for a better constructed subframe than the original. What design features it could incorporate from your existing one is the debate. Of course once we have moved away from the original there might be nothing other the dimensions in common.
                You asked and I have gone through a fairly length design and testing review and jig is now together with a prototype frame being assessed for fitment checks.... Shed more weight and ensured the frames are adaptable for Front to Rear fabrication. I havent confirmed costs as i need to take into consideration my costs involved with jig production and design but I estimate at this point that a finished, powdercoated subframe will be around £650-700 inc. VAT.

Comment

You asked and I have gone through a fairly length design and testing review and jig is now together with a prototype frame being assessed for fitment checks.... Shed more weight and ensured the frames are adaptable for Front to Rear fabrication. I havent confirmed costs as i need to take into consideration my costs involved with jig production and design but I estimate at this point that a finished, powdercoated subframe will be around £650-700 inc. VAT.

This looked very interresting.

Do tell how the fitment is and if your are making more
                  If in doubt, Flat out.

Comment

I would be interested in this Jay
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Sign me up!!

Comment

Just curious, it says Audi Quattro... is that b2 or b3/b4?
                        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                        2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                        2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                        1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                        1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Designed from a URQ Subframe for reference but I have a B3 Audi 90 Quattro subframe set here too and the dimensions are identical.

Confirmed price for finished frames - £674.99/ea inc. VAT for UK and EU customers (+Delivery). Just confirming material supply as some mills have been on shutdown but looking to start taking orders from start of September, will update lead times too.

Comment

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/ke...tml?sort=3&o=0

Is it possible get b-groub rear tie rod mounts

Comment

Designed from a URQ Subframe for reference but I have a B3 Audi 90 Quattro subframe set here too and the dimensions are identical.

Confirmed price for finished frames - £674.99/ea inc. VAT for UK and EU customers (+Delivery). Just confirming material supply as some mills have been on shutdown but looking to start taking orders from start of September, will update lead times too.
                              Good to know. I'm definitely interested in at least one set for front and rear on my cq, and possibly a second set for the track car.

Comment

I dont have dimensions for location for them but yes easily added. If you have sizing for the Works items or just want them to suit your setup then I can custom fabricate to the frame easily enough, will just be 4x tabs and a strengthening wrap on each side.

Just finished off a fabrication tool to produce the sheet metal mount pieces which will make production a little easier as the prototype was hand formed from flat profiles.

Comment

Working...
                                X