No announcement yet.

quattro to rwd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sau is right, the balance of the car would be unsatisfactory for RWD.

I would reiterate the problem of transmitting all of the power to a rearend which normally takes 50% and a maximum of 75% for short duration.

Billman and Sau, those cars with the mid engines are the right way to go! The engine/gearbox location is perfect for a mid engine RWD car (see Billman's second image).

__MDC__
    Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

You can always build like dahlbäck did width the new polo.
      That does got a I5 20vT engine @ 650hp, sportquattro rear diff/gearbox and is a RWD!!. This car work like hell, cause' I've seen it in action.

All pic's and writings
      Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

Is that ford sierra gr. A gearbox I see ?

Sau
        200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
        CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

hmm, maybe, but i heard that he is driving complete sport/ur q chassi.. width independent arms though..
          Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

This is just an extended oilpan? Is it better for cornering?
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The oilpan looks like it's extended for extra capacity without hurting ground clearance while missing those crossmembers and the rack - not as neat as a dry sump but probably good enough for the job anyway!

Normally you would avoid making the oilpan wider as the oil will collect in those pockets during hard cornering (unless you put oil pickups in the pockets - but the vacated one would suck air then - hence the preferred option being dry sump).

This car is very light compared to S2 I would think, so the rearend can be less heavy duty than a heavier RWD car would need.

__MDC__
              Martin Cutting

Comment

BTW the construction of this car looks very nice indeed!

__MDC__
                Martin Cutting

Comment

Gotta say I utterly agree on that - serious design time and careful implementation has gone into this thing that looks like a Polo.

I still don't see the point of 600+bhp in a RWD road car. You just cannot effectively deliver that power (errrrrrr torque really) to the ground. Wasn't it the head of Audi R&D circa 1980 that publicly stated that neither FWD or RWD was effective at handling more than 300bhp in a road car... Oh and the thing we call quattro was born.

Those antipodean numpties proved the point quite well - even though their deliberately stupid and aggressive driving was far from what you'd call normal. Serves them right for bending it, but who cares reallly - its just another PoS ricemobile that met an untimely end. Sorry if thats a bit harsh...

In my opinion if you want a 'drifting car' (spit) then you don't want the lag of a turbo. You want a big torquey V8 (or V6) in a light bodyshell with an RWD transmission that makes use of a good LSD.

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Rod Millen's son built a drift car with normally aspirated V8 power (Rod Millen, for those who don't know, built and successfully campaigned several Pike's Peak hillclimb machines, usually Toyotas). His son drifts a "Pontiac GTO" (it's a Monaro with a Poncho grill). The typical drift crowd hated it initially, because it doesn't have the screaming engine that all the other cars have! I think they've since warmed to the idea.

Ultimately, drifting is an exercise in deliberately bad car setup - nobody in their right mind wants the car to oversteer excessively, but drifters do. So, the rear suspension will be stupidly stiff and the front end will be rather soft by comparison. The imbalance between the two will make the rearend very free and easy.

As for 600bhp+ in a RWD car, depends what you want it for really. If it's the drags, ultimately a RWD car will be the way to go, with wide sticky tyres and a sticky track surface, lots of weight transfer and a bulletproof transmission (high stall auto box or a beefy manual box, maybe a set of Lenco planetaries even - it's been done on street cars but it's not ideal).

Of course, they only race in the dry. The hottest of the road legal machines will be exceeding 1,200 or maybe even 1,400bhp, but they really are a means to an end.

In everyday use, high power in a RWD package would be far more desirable than the same in FWD, but clearly 4WD will allow the most efficient delivery of the available power in general driving conditions ...and particularly in the wet!

__MDC__
                    Martin Cutting

Comment

Originally posted by sjferney
                      I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's some boys down my way who tried this (AWD to RWD) with a WRX:
                      http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...16560725&q=wrx

BTW: I think the police here enjoyed the vid so much they went to pay these lads a visit.

LOL! ****s Kids eh? Don't you just love em?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

luv that polo ..... check the wide body kit.... x sweet x

Comment

I agree with many points on this post. As standard, the handling of an S2 is not the most animated that I have ever experienced and a bit more rear bias would help to liven things up. I can't imagine the 60:40 front weight distribution helps too much with the understeer either. From what I've read and seen 400bhp+ can help matters as can a properly adjusted suspension setup or rear Torsen. And when a 4wd car does go sideways it is very controllable as I've found out on a couple of occasions on and off road. The mild mannered quattro is one of the most confidence inspiring cars I've ever driven and as a daily driver, I wouldn't change it too much. To try and convert the S2 to rwd seems like a lot of work for little reward based on the weight distribution, drivetrain and rear diff issues that have to be overcome before the fine tuning stage can be enterred into. The only reason I can see to do it is for something completely different and I can respect that. Ultimately, if you want to go drifting then get something that was designed to do it from the outset. A rwd Sierra Cosworth with 300bhp and 205 tyres isn't a bad start from experience (and much cheaper)!
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                          X