Quattro Box info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quattro Box info?

I have just killed the box on my 100 quattro! lost all drive when towin my trailer! dam!! Anyhow! what i need to know is, are the 5 speed quattro boxes all the same? I.e the 80/90's the same as the 100's? anyone got box about them for cheap money? What should i be payin?

"OR"

Should i strip it and fix the offending arcicle?

It was giving signs when i was on my way to pick up some stuff. It felt like a miss through the transmission but only in 1st + 2nd? Then on the way back it just got worse and worse (nowt to do with the 2 tones of trailer! oh no!) Eventually constantly banging in every gear with the slightest amount of power? Then "bang" "crunch" "grind" = no drive at all!

When i put it in 1st gear (no cluch required) it grinds slow ish but in 5th it grinds fast! Iam thinkin output shaft? Now bear in mind i've never had a box in bits, never mind a quattro box so the internal workins are new to me? Opinions please?

thanks guys!
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Suppose it could be the torsen unit if you can still select gears
    If it is, it's going to be cheaper and a lot easier to do
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Oh?? Is the torsen bit seperate from the box liike a transfer box then? Haven't noticed it before? Or is it in the box? I are you talking about the front to rear diff? Sorry but i dont know much about exactly how the quattro bos works and distributes its power?

I read that the torsen bit is some clever gearing that transfers 3 times the amount of tourqe to the slipping wheel over a conventional diff? But other than that iam not sure?

thanks for that though steve!

Comment

Glen, i have a good box if you still need one.pm me if interested

Comment

AFAIK, the Torsen diff is the rear section of the gearbox. It's bolted on with Torx type bolts. I've heard of these going on higher mileage cars. It's just a thought..I'm no gearbox guru
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Is your box torsen or manual diff?

Siena

Comment

Um not sure really? dont know what it is?

It's on a 100 Avant Quattro on a H plate? 204000 miles?

Comment

I guess its a torsen box then, if you have 1 diff lock for the rear then it is.

Comment

I have a good torsen box if you're interested, from 1990 Coupe q. Final drive ratio is same as 100q, @ 4.11:1.

Siena

Comment

Yeh it does have a diff lock for the rear. so we've established its a torsen box then. Now i need to find out if its the bolt on torsen section on the rear of the box (is that correct?) or if its the box its self?

Just tryin to work it out in my head. If the torsen section has gone then would the box not think that the rear axle is just slipping and then divert more power to the front? Thus then having a front wheel drive quattro? I presume this torsen section we're talking about just controls front to rear drive?

Are the torsen and non torsen boxs the same? i.e one with the bolt on unit and one with out? Is it a case of longer and shorter props?

Sorry for all this but i need to be sure what iam dealing with before i start buyin bits!

cheers guys! this is good info!

Comment

I have a good torsen box, from a 1990 Coupe quattro, same final drive as 100 quattro - 4.11:1

Siena

Comment

Torsen and manual boxes are the same length

Siena

Comment

For an old bus like this does it really matter if i re-fit a torsen box or not?

I just want all for wheels to turn when a gear is selected and the clutch is released!! Not really arsed about gearing or owt? lower the better i suppose to aid acceleration?

Comment

Doesn't matter if you fit torsen or manual, but if you convert to manual, you'll have to plumb in the vacumn system for the centre diff, change the mounts, change the flywheel and clutch, press in a spigot bearing into the back of the crank (your torsen setup has a ball - type bearing in the flywheel) change the selector lever, change the speedo transducer to the screw - in type as used on 200 turbo / Ur quattro (quite expensive) modify the reverse lamp switch connector. Honestly, I would stick with your original set up. As for ratios, the only lower final drive is the 80q, not ideal as there is no rear diff in the 100 range that will match it.

Siena

Comment

Sienna

Thats a fairly convincing argument.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X