Weird knocking noise front left side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird knocking noise front left side

I have been having a knocking noise for the past month front left side(my drivers side) as it is LHD. It appears more readily on slow speeds, more on bumps, metallic in nature, not rhythmic as per wheel speed but not entirely sure on that either.

We have replaced inner and outer driveshaft joints and still persists. It happens also with or without gear.

Apparently suspension parts appear solid, droplinks new too, nothing obvious.

anyone had similar experience and what did you end up having changed ?

Strut top nut loose. I've had this on mine and it was only slightly loose.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Are the new drop links tight? Been there done that - it is surprising how much noise a new droplink makes when it is only slightly loose at the strut end...

Comment

Good points. I'll check those 2, they are simple. Anything else?

Comment

Calipers in good condition? I've had issue like that when sliders wore out.
          '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
          '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

As above I'd do a spanner check on all the suspension fasteners first of all
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Seems to me the best thing to do.

question, can a wheel bearing give similar issues? I'd expect rotational knock esp in corners although I can't convince myself this is rotational

Comment

also check that the bolts attaching the driveshafts to where the drive comes out of the bottom of the engine are tight. they are both right hand thread so the bolts on the left side of the car want to loosen. I have had mine loosen!
                1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

I checked the torx nut of the strut and it's tight. One down more to check...

I do use the mount savers I forgot to mention. Could it be that the metal ring could be causing the noise? it wouldn't explain the noise coming even without road discrepancies though

Comment

My driveshaft looseness showed as a knock when you lifted off and then accelerated, like when negotiating a speed bump.
                    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

it's getting looked at. Plausible cause so far seems the wheel bearing. We shall see

Comment

Check your ball joints,I had an really annoying rattle/knock that I could not find.Had checked everything and it turned out despite looking ok and being tight the ball joints where knocking ever so slightly where they were a bit worn
                        Had replaced drop links,top mounts etc and the noise went away when I changed out the joints
                        Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
                        Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
                        Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

wheel bearing changed, and noise still there.

Although I had powered bushes and replaced them with AK motorsport, it was pointed out to me that they have way too much play on them and my noise could be due to them. I enclose a short video of the right side with the left being worse.

I'm not sure of this could cause any noise unless excessive movement causes a rattle somewhere else.

https://youtu.be/NkfYUkuBXRQ

Once the black bushes arrive we will also change the gear box mounts.

If the car is left off gear and the rattle is still present, can this be a gear box related noise?

Comment

Do those bushes have a steel insert? My powerflex bushes have no movement in them.
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

yes, these have a steel insert.

Comment

Working...
                              X